Cold Weather Roasting in BBQ

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, a question to those with BBQ roasting experience. How do you fair in the cold? I recently roasted a batch of ethiopian Mokasida and it tasted very flat compared to how it normally tastes. It generally is very fruity and rich. I didn't raise my temps or anything and that is probably the culprit. Anyways any advice or help would be appreciated. Have a good day!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Block whatever openings in the grill you can, stay out of the wind, and perhaps look into a blanket of insulation. A welding blanket or some hi-temp insulation (I think some call it KAO-wool) will greatly help hold in the heat.

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
thanks! Do you think that is what is causing the flavor loss? I only had an extra couple min on the roast and it was under 20 min.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
thanks! Do you think that is what is causing the flavor loss? I only had an extra couple min on the roast and it was under 20 min.

There are too many areas in a profile that if changed will affect the flavor, so there's no way of saying just what caused yours this time, but you extended one section (or more) of the roast more than you had in the past, and that's most likely your culprit.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I try to keep the internal heat box temp the same no matter what the outside temp is, and use whatever gas I need to to maintain that temp profile. That way I can for the most part maintain the profile. I try not to adjust the time, as it will change the flavor as you and Peter noted. I am looking into the blanket as well, to save gas, I did install an adjustable baffle on the back of the grill where the large opening is, and I keep that closed when its cold.