My new Kaldi (Korean Drum Roaster)

Erik

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Just want to share - You may have seen this roaster on ebay but there isn't much info on it elsewhere. I took a chance on this and I think it is a super deal at $345 delievered (without hopper and trier).

The thermometer isn't great and is slow reacting to temp changes. Not sure if it can be fitted somehow with a better temperature reader, but would like suggestions.

The roaster itself is very high quality materials and fit/finish.

The motor seems well over spec'd for the roaster.

I did a 1/2lb roast for the first roast and it had no problems - I hit first crack before 9 minutes on my gas range. I think it could easily do 3/4 lb or more.

Super happy with this thing so far.

DSC07037-2.jpgDSC07038-2.jpgDSC07034-2.jpgDSC07036-2.jpgDSC07039-2.jpg

Erik

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
How is the roaster ????
Please share your review...
thanks.

I just got it yesterday and I included my impressions so far in the first post. Basically, it is a well made little roaster, but the thermometer is not good and I am not sure how to get a good thermocouple into the beans.

Erik

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
How is the roaster ????
Please share your review...
thanks.

I have had it for 3 years now and really love it. It is really all I could ever need unless I wanted to start selling coffee. After using it for about a month I decided that I am able to get a good roast without a good thermometer or all the data logging. You learn how hot to run it and pay attention to the beans to make adjustments as needed.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Erik....i've had mine for years and have never had an issue. I take that back...burns. That lil thing gets HOT! Other than the risk of burns/scars it is awesome. I got burned a lot the first few times I used it...learned my lesson and haven't been burned in years. I usually only roast 3 to 4 oz at a time.