Royal #1 Rebuild in CA

curlyjohnston

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I acquired a #1 in June and set out to rebuild her. She was missing a lot of pieces, no base, motor etc. With the help of a neighbor who is a retired machinist, we were able to remake a lot of things. I want to say thanks to Enrique & Monte of Small Town Coffee Roasters for their invaluable help. Their rebuild of their #1 just ahead of mine could not have happened at a better time. There is still lots to do, like making a proper base etc. I have roasted a few times on her now and am just starting to get a feel for her, but the flavor that comes out of this machine is unbelievable.

IMG_20140517_095128.jpgIMG_0756.JPGIMG_7072.jpgIMG_7074.jpgIMG_7098.JPG

JitteryMonkey

Dec 18, 2013
Rutherfordton, NC
Visit site
Nice rebuild! These are great coffee roasters for roasting up to ten pounds at a time. Add the Arduino with heat probes and the Artisan logging software and you're going to roast consistent quality comparable to the high dollar roasters. Glad to see you're up and running and that we could help answer some of your question.

Madelaine

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Wow, amazing work! So you said you started in June... was this an occasional work project, or have you been hammering away at it for a year? Either way, gorgeous machine!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
That thing looks SICK!!! Awesome job on the referb! I would suggest new pipping or is that just a temp fix? The flex hose clogs so quickly and is a fire waiting to happen..but hats of on the job you did! I miss my old one :(

curlyjohnston

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Royaldagger, the motor and belts I got from McMaster Carr, here is what I bought,

Base-Mount AC Motor, 1 Phase, NEMA S56, ODP, Rigid, 1/2 hp, 1725 RPM, # 5990K26

Leather Center-Stock Flat Belting, 1 Ply, 5/32" Thick, 3" Min Pulley Diameter, 1" W, 6' L # 6076K41

Leather Center-Stock Flat Belting, 1 Ply, 5/32" Thick, 3" Min Pulley Diameter, 3/4" Width # 6076K52

Alligator Belt Lacing Set, Steel, 12" Length, Lace Number 15 # 6118K14

I had started working on it June of 2014 and had it up and running just before Christmas 2014. Topher, the flex hose does capture some chaff etc. I have since moved the cyclone onto to roaster table so the hose now in inserted 4 to 6 inches into the cyclone and is about 2ft total length so the pressure blows everything into the cyclone. I also have 2 water fire extinguishers, one on each side of my roast house. I love this roaster. It somehow brings out more carmel and chocolate notes which I love.

curlyjohnston

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Here is my present configuration. I am only roasting about once a week. The hose going outside gets taken down when I am not roasting. In hind site, the belts could have both been the same size. The 1".

Attachments

• IMG_7172.JPG
    IMG_7172.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 357