Seeking info on Toper TKMSX-15KG roaster

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have been considering purchasing a Toper TKMSX-15KG for our operation. We roast approximately 2000 lbs (green) per week and are steadily expanding our capacity by 15-20 percent per year. I figure a 15KG unit would serve us well since 2000 lbs per week will be utilizing 50 percent of its capacity. I am assuming this roaster can handle at least 80 percent of its 15kg capacity...?

I have read mixed reviews about Toper machines; but most of it is encouraging since the burner and heat transfer mechanisms have gone through several redesigns over the years and hopefully design flaws were addressed. I am looking for feedback from people who have experience with this particular machine.

I plan to purchase the built-in roast profiling option.

My roasting experience is solely from a half bag Sivetz. This will be my first shot at a drum roaster. Any advice about transitioning would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hey there.First I wold like to welcome you to the forum. Where are you located? I used Toper in the past and can give you my opinion if you would like. My email is [email protected] . That being said...lets check the math.

If you are running 26 lb batches and factor in the shrinkage you end up with about 21 lbs. I know you can do more than 2.5 batches an hour but this is the number I use when figuring out capacity. This would include set up, break down and cleaning. That brings you to a wee bit above 54 lbs and hour. 8 hours of roasting gives you 420 lbs a day...with a grand total of 2100 lbs a week. I always like to go a bit bigger to allow for growth. Slurp can chime in on this. He has a 15 kilo roaster and called me yesterday crying that he needs a bigger roaster. That he had been roasting all day and selling more than he could produce(good problem to have) I learned my lesson years ago when I out grew my 30 kilo in a week...replaced it with a 60 and out grew it in a month. 21 hour roasting days are not fun...or safe. I wish you well and look forward to hearing of your progress..email me and I will tell you about my experiences with Toper. Just so everyone else knows for the most part I liked their machines.

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information and the warm welcome. These are the numbers I have been using as a guide, so please let me know if I'm off. When I was roasting with the Sivetz half bag unit, I was easily able to roast three batches per hour. On good days, I could bring my roast speed to 3.5 batches per hour. We would roast in 60 pound batches. Toper claims that each roast takes 15 minutes, which translates to four batches per hour at continuous operation. Any experienced roaster would know that 4 batches per hour is unrealistic, so I'm taking Toper's claim with a grain of salt. I figure 3 batches per hour under the best circumstances. At 3 batches per hour, and if I pushed it to 90 percent of capacity, it would translate to an output of 90 lbs per hour of green coffee going into the roaster. That would translate to 22.2 hours of roaster operation per week, giving us some room to grow.

I have never roasted on a drum roaster so I do not have first hand experience as to what to realistically expect. My experience has been on a Sivetz; and it is very real to expect thee or more 60 lb batches per hour on a half bag Sivetz machine.

If my calculations are off, please let me know -- as this would be the best time to factor in the virtures of buying a higher capacity unit.

I'm located in Northern California.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been considering purchasing a Toper TKMSX-15KG for our operation. We roast approximately 2000 lbs (green) per week and are steadily expanding our capacity by 15-20 percent per year. I figure a 15KG unit would serve us well since 2000 lbs per week will be utilizing 50 percent of its capacity. I am assuming this roaster can handle at least 80 percent of its 15kg capacity...?

I have read mixed reviews about Toper machines; but most of it is encouraging since the burner and heat transfer mechanisms have gone through several redesigns over the years and hopefully design flaws were addressed. I am looking for feedback from people who have experience with this particular machine.

I plan to purchase the built-in roast profiling option.

My roasting experience is solely from a half bag Sivetz. This will be my first shot at a drum roaster. Any advice about transitioning would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance...

If you roast 2000 lb a week, what are you using to roast with now? Just curious.
I have not heard good things about build in profile software from anyone yet, well other than the manufacture trying to sell them. If you want quality and consistency that is.

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
If you roast 2000 lb a week, what are you using to roast with now? Just curious.
I have not heard good things about build in profile software from anyone yet, well other than the manufacture trying to sell them. If you want quality and consistency that is.

Our coffee is being roasted on a half bag Sivetz. It can easily handle three 60 lb roasts per hour.