Looking For Roasting Experience.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to learn how to roast and gain experience in the related fields. Are there any Roasters looking for an apprentice or an extra pair of hands around their shop? I would be willing to work for free in exchange for the experience and knowledge gained. I live in NY, but I am open to traveling if I could work with you for a limited time, and get what I can out of the experiece.

Also, if you have any advice on how I can get started, or know anyone you think I should get in touch with, I would be very thankful for the information.

Thanks in advance.

thCapn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps try my method. I found a shop to teach me by gathering a list of all local roasters and either stopping by to talk or sending them an email. It took awhile but eventually I got a positive response.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Starting a relationship with a roaster is a good idea. Most of us think we hold the secret of the universe thru coffee and do not want to share it. I have friends / customers stop by all the time after we are closed and busy roasting and bring craft beer. They stay and enjoy a bronson and help bag beans or pack boxes.

Currently I am looking for an apprentice to teach and move up into production full time. Most roasters are interested in having people to move up into full time knowledgable employees as we grow our business.

CoffeeBeanNYC

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
JohnD18 - I am also looking to learn coffee roasting process. Perhaps we could try to find one roaster that is willing to show us the process and go for a visit as a team. I live in Long Island. If I find anyone who is willing to help out I will let you know. I learned that there is a coffee roasting plant in the city - they rent space and machines to roasters (maybe we can try to go there)?
Regards!
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to learn how to roast and gain experience in the related fields. Are there any Roasters looking for an apprentice or an extra pair of hands around their shop? I would be willing to work for free in exchange for the experience and knowledge gained. I live in NY, but I am open to traveling if I could work with you for a limited time, and get what I can out of the experiece.

Also, if you have any advice on how I can get started, or know anyone you think I should get in touch with, I would be very thankful for the information.

Thanks in advance.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I feel like if I were to stop by a local micro-roaster (theres only about two that aren't a part of a larger coffee giant around here) they would be reluctant to help me because I could potentially become a competitor. I'll take your advice though, and give it a try. I have nothing to lose by doing so. I have reached out to a bunch of them via email, with no luck.

Thanks for the advice!

Starting a relationship with a roaster is a good idea. Most of us think we hold the secret of the universe thru coffee and do not want to share it. I have friends / customers stop by all the time after we are closed and busy roasting and bring craft beer. They stay and enjoy a bronson and help bag beans or pack boxes.

Currently I am looking for an apprentice to teach and move up into production full time. Most roasters are interested in having people to move up into full time knowledgable employees as we grow our business.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Advice is free...knowledge will cost you some money. I would suggest you speaking to these potential roasters and see what kind of fee they might charge you for consulting. Most of us coffee roasters are busy as all get out...time is money. Good luck and let us how it all turns out.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
And, if you haven't do as much reading on roasting as you can, not so that you walk into a roasterie with the mindset you know everything, but so that the roaster doesn't think he has to start you on the ground floor. Learn what the drying phase is and its heat range; learn about the malliard reaction and its heat range; learn about First Crack, Second Crack; learn what endothermic and exothermic mean.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have done a lot of research in the subject, and I will continue to do so. I am just super eager to get some hands on experience at this point.

And, if you haven't do as much reading on roasting as you can, not so that you walk into a roasterie with the mindset you know everything, but so that the roaster doesn't think he has to start you on the ground floor. Learn what the drying phase is and its heat range; learn about the malliard reaction and its heat range; learn about First Crack, Second Crack; learn what endothermic and exothermic mean.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Thanks for the input topher.

I am not opposed to paying a fee, or working for free. I totally understand time is money and most roasters don't have the ability to babysit a noob. I have been looking into a company in Guatemala that does apprenticeships for money (thoughts on this, btw, are very much appreciated). I'd rather not have to go all the way down there, but if I can't find anything in the states soon, thats where I'll be heading.

Advice is free...knowledge will cost you some money. I would suggest you speaking to these potential roasters and see what kind of fee they might charge you for consulting. Most of us coffee roasters are busy as all get out...time is money. Good luck and let us how it all turns out.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site

BINGO!!!!!

Also you could go the route of buying a roaster and learn as you go. This works pretty well. You can learn a lot in the garage on a 5 kilo, also some green suppliers are pretty helpful as well.