Thermocouple Help

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
I'd like to get my machine set up for datalogging. I have a Roaster Authority 2k, which has a thermocouple for the bean probe. The temp for the bean probe is displayed on a Solo led screen (pid?). Could I tap into the pid and add a usb cord for datalogging?

OR

There is a hole and threads in the faceplate where the previous owner had a usb thermocouple installed for logging bean temp. Seems the easiest thing to do would be to order a usb thermocouple and use this existing hole. In that case, what are your recommendations for thermocouples?

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Normally you would use a split wire thermocouple to feed two different displays; single thermocouple with two wires soldered in the tip. Best case would be two identical thermocouples, an exact replacement for the current BT probe in the empty slot.

That way your graph readings would hopefully match or be pretty close.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Automationdirect.com sells The SOLO and has a complete line of RTD's and Thermocouples. Omega.com carries quite a bit also

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
the serial number will say what it has. At least that is how Fiji and Watlow do it. Take the serial number and contact Solo and see what they say.

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
Thanks, Chast. I'll look at the serial on the Solo and give them a call. As for that adapter, how involved is the installation. Almost looks as if it's plug and play.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
basically plug and play. Just need to connect the wires per diagram and load the driver into your computer/laptop.

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
Problem solved. I went and saw Steve of Mill City Roasters in Minneapolis and he set me up with a thermocouple (no charge) and a Phiggit 1048. When I got home, I downloaded Artisan, put in the TC and was logging my roasts within half an hour. Oh yeah, and while I was up at MCR's I couldn't resist picking up some beans. I came home with some Etheopian Yirgacheffe, organic Rawanda, and a Columbia (ten pounds of each). Steve even threw in a pound of some $pecial stuff, the name of which escapes me, at no charge. Though I didn't buy my roaster from Steve, he treated me as if I did, spending a good portion of his day talking over the fundamentals of roasting with me, some of it I even retained and put to use on the two batches of Columbia I roasted this evening. Can't wait to try it in the morning!

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Problem solved. I went and saw Steve of Mill City Roasters in Minneapolis and he set me up with a thermocouple (no charge) and a Phiggit 1048. When I got home, I downloaded Artisan, put in the TC and was logging my roasts within half an hour. Oh yeah, and while I was up at MCR's I couldn't resist picking up some beans. I came home with some Etheopian Yirgacheffe, organic Rawanda, and a Columbia (ten pounds of each). Steve even threw in a pound of some $pecial stuff, the name of which escapes me, at no charge. Though I didn't buy my roaster from Steve, he treated me as if I did, spending a good portion of his day talking over the fundamentals of roasting with me, some of it I even retained and put to use on the two batches of Columbia I roasted this evening. Can't wait to try it in the morning!

Embarrassing. We should have labeled that bag. The mystery pound was a Cafe Imports ACES coffee. SCAA 90 from a Colombian grower named Alexander Cortes in Cauca. It's an amazing coffee and it sold out in hours. If you want, ask Dave for cupping notes and roast profiles when he gets back next week.