Question for Ambex users and roasting controls

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
So we made the jump and purchased a "new" to us larger Ambex. Going from a 2k to a 10k and the new machine just arrived. Looking at the control panel we noticed a difference in the controls on the 10k from what we have on the 2k. On the 2k we have a dial for gas control and a gauge for pressure. We created our roast profiles using the gas control and using the pressure gauge for settings during the roast. The 10k has neither of these on the control panel. In place of the dial is a switch labels "manual" and on the left side of the control box there looks to be a lever that control gas flow. If we want to continue roasting the same way do we just run in manual mode and use the side lever for gas control? Do we get a digital gas pressure reading or do we have to add a gauge to have that reading. We wont be able to run both machines at the same time so I'm just trying to prep to shorten the learning curve and reduce the amount of time we will need to adjust our roasting profiles to the new machine.

Thanks for all of your help

Cafeciteaux

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you throw up a pic of your setup? Ours has a gas gauge on the left side of the access panel and we have a manual gas knob on the control panel beside the on off switch and PID. We just got a new one in the last year and it did not change from the previous version, so I would like to see what you are referring to.

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
So here is our ym-2. You can see gas gauge on side and flame control knob on panel.
image.jpeg
Then our new to us ym-10 with no gauge and no flame control. There is a manual valve on the left side below where the gas gauge would be. So my plan is to
add a gauge which is easy enough and then see if I can use that valve on the side the control gas during roasting and just run it in manual mode. Should work I assume, just wanted to confirm it has worked for others.
image (4).jpeg

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I hate those manual buttons. I had one on my sixty and an apprentice bumped it with out noticing. I walked in the room and asked where the fire was...he said I was being paranoid. I walked over to the roaster and the watlow was reading something like 680 degrees. I disconnected the button.

Latest posts