Roaster Exhaust/Stack Pricing

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
Hello! First time posting. I have really enjoyed reading through posts on Coffee Forum and hope fellow roasters can help me out. I am in the process of getting my exhaust and looking for the most cost effective stack option. I have a 5 kilo Ambex (do not need to run an afterburner), planning to run single wall and the last 9' double wall through the roof. Approx. 20 ft total. Just want to get a better idea of what I should be looking at cost wise (not including install). Thanks!

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello! First time posting. I have really enjoyed reading through posts on Coffee Forum and hope fellow roasters can help me out. I am in the process of getting my exhaust and looking for the most cost effective stack option. I have a 5 kilo Ambex (do not need to run an afterburner), planning to run single wall and the last 9' double wall through the roof. Approx. 20 ft total. Just want to get a better idea of what I should be looking at cost wise (not including install). Thanks!

I wish you luck here. This was a bit of a challenge, more so than I thought it would/should have been. I ended up going the cheap route but based on what the requirements I got here with the key being that this be grease ducting that could withstand 1000 degrees Fahrenheit continuous and up to 1400 for brief periods. This type of ducting is VERY expensive. My quote for around 10 feet was right around $3000, (one was $2800 and the other was $3200). All special order by the way and takes 2 to 3 weeks plus shipping time.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I don't know if its 'cost effective'... but take a look at Nordfab. It seems to be what most people I talk with have used. It uses quick clamps so the install part shouldn't be expensive (obviously depending on your run lengths, situation)

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
The quotes I am getting are a little higher but I am running up to 20ft and it is also a two-three weeks out special order. It may end up being very $$. Ambex recommends an 8" exhaust. Which is large for that 5 kilo but if we ever go up to a larger roaster we would not have buy a new stack. Thanks Amhas!

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
Hello Musicphan,

I have used the QF Nordfab on roasters in the past and it is really easy to breakdown and clean. The price on the Nordfab is on the lower side of the quotes I have gotten but it is not double wall.

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
What you need is a positive pressure exhaust system. I would highly recommend Selkirk Metalbestos located in Grand Rapids, MI. You will need to find a local distributor that is familiar with your area's fire codes and building codes. They will recommend the proper system, send the specs to Selkirk, and Selkirk will produce a drawing specifying all of the parts and components needed. The quote will be based on the drawing.

For our 30 kilo Ambex, the total cost for the exhaust system exiting the afterburner was less than $5000.

I do not recommend you purchase a flue that is larger in diameter with the anticipation of upgrading your roaster in the future. When the time to upgrade comes, you might be under a different set of regulations; and the exhaust system you invested in may be noncompliant. This will especially become problematic when you find yourself needing an afterburner with a larger roaster.

My advice: Get what you need to for your current needs. Make sure the roaster pays for itself so the investment in ALL of the equipment comes to fruition before considering upgrades. When that time comes, spec the upgrade to pay for itself as well. Do the math and analysis carefully. Use formulas to chart future growth and you will see when you may need to upgrade. Also, make sure the roaster is large enough to handle your capacity for several years.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I use Selkirk Metalbestos C1 and C2. 1" and 2" of insulation. Straight up and using a Lateral Tee coming off the roaster. 25' height cost me 2250.00 This has a stainless 6" inner pipe and aluminum on the outside. I use Nordfab for my sample roaster, all stainless and purchased most of it from McMastercarr.com. Not advertised as Nordfab but it is. Your choice of SS or Aluminum.

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
We are not purchasing an exhaust that is larger in diameter then recommended. It just works out it gives us room to grow. We are looking at spending around $4000. -from the quotes I have got. This is everything from the roaster to the cap. Thanks!

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
Chast-Thanks! I will be running a Y type fitting into a 7' or larger duct then 20 ft to the cap. Now, venting the sample roaster that is another issue..

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
4" is all that is needed for a sample but I ran 5" Nordfab SS. The pic below is when we were installing the roaster in a new location and shows what I meant by lateral tee. C2 on the bottom coming out of the roaster has 2" of insulation and the vertical is C1 with 1" of insulation. This roaster is different from your setup but it gives you an idea. The fire dept. loves this Selkirk Metalbestos even though it is overkill, no headaches from any inspectors
10447520_795568960476182_4116685339377178348_n.jpg

IRC76

Aug 21, 2014
North Carolina
Visit site
Chast - our sample roaster has a 3" exhaust we are just going to run it over into the cooling tray of our roaster - kick on the fan when we need it. We thought of running it into the same exhaust with a damper but didn't want to have any issues with smoke backing into the sample roaster from the larger roaster.

Thanks everyone! City signed off on our set up and we ordered our stack today, we are expecting delivery in about two weeks.

lizardbrew

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
4" is all that is needed for a sample but I ran 5" Nordfab SS. The pic below is when we were installing the roaster in a new location and shows what I meant by lateral tee. C2 on the bottom coming out of the roaster has 2" of insulation and the vertical is C1 with 1" of insulation. This roaster is different from your setup but it gives you an idea. The fire dept. loves this Selkirk Metalbestos even though it is overkill, no headaches from any inspectors
View attachment 3478
Chast-Did Selkirk recommend using C2 at the bottom and C1 for the vertical? I am about to do instillation of 12k 15ft up. I would think you would want more insulation at the top where you go through the roof? Did you tie in your sample roaster duct to this?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I did not go through Selkirk for info. The distributor showed up and we went over what I needed. Originally the whole order was for C1, but Selkirk screwed up and sent the lower half C2. I only had to pay for the cost of the C1.
You do not need anymore than the C1 going through the roof, at least here I didn't. Depends on your inspector I guess. At 450 degrees for 4 hours, the pipe is still ambient temp. I used Nordfab pipe for the sample. Inspector would not allow a tie in

Latest posts