Roaster venting/stack questions. Need experienced advice.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am currently navigating the process of getting stack for a 12k roaster. I am expecting to need 8" diameter.

After researching, and reading some posts here about stack, I contacted a local Selkirk reseller, and for 30' of stack, he quoted me $6k. Thats just the stack, no installation. Specifically, he quoted me on Selkirk IPS-C2 304/304 double wall stainless steel material. I have a few questions on this...

1. Is selkirk a premium product, or is ~$200/ft a fairly standard price for roaster stack?
  2. Are there better places to get this stack? Every time I search for it I go around in circles on these dumb websites.
  3. I found it on ebay, new for 31.99/ft. Selkirk metalbestos 1" insulation, 1000 F rating. ?

Any advice?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
He is basically tucking it to you! Depending if it is mostly straight pieces, 45's, adapters and tees will make a price difference. The problem with Selkirk is they are territory protected. I could hook you up with the company I purchase from and they could not sell it to you. I could be mistaken but that is how it use to be when I purchased mine. Do you really need the 1" of insulation? Nordfab is a great pipe and easy to assemble/disassemble to clean. Ebay is another over kill mark up. When I get a chance I will look up what I paid for mine and post it. The lateral Tee was the most expensive. I did purchase my cap on ebay and saved a lot but that was just being there at the right time.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
each pipe is 60" long and the price includes clamps and covers. My first order is all I found for the 8" pipe and it consisted of the following:
All C1 Stainless inner Aluminum Outer
1-8" lateral tee
1-8" 45 Degree Elbow
1-8"x 60" Pipe Length
1-8" Plate Support

This first order would have connected to the roaster and start the first vertical. The plate support would have needed a set of 4 legs to hold the vertical stacks. This cost me 1,390.00 which included shipping. So I am guessing with 6 more vertical would probably be around 1800.00 additional
Don't forget the contracting is marking it up. I purchased mine direct from the local distributor

Just checked the price list I had. A 304 S/S C1 8" Pipe listed for 507.00 each. That was MSRP. I received a contractors discount and I believe I paid just under 250.00 per pipe. My 6" pipe C1 cost me 175.00 per length.
If you are going straight up the hardest part is cutting the hole in the roof. 30' from roaster thru the roof won't even take 4 hours after the hole is cut and the boot glued depending your building of course
Install exhaust 2.JPGNew exhaust stand.jpg

Last edited:

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Hey Chast, thanks for all of this.

I am still seeking out a location, however most locations I have seen are commercial/industrial loft types and the stack would be going out a window and straight up. Regarding your question if I need the 1" insulation, absolutely not. It just seemed to be standard on the venting I was looking at. The roaster isn't going to be in a retail location and no one will be touching the stack. It needs to be 8'' as that's what Diedrich calls for these days, other than that I don't care what it is as long as it passes code and whatnot. Is that the selkirk in your pic, or nordfab? I was having trouble following.

each pipe is 60" long and the price includes clamps and covers. My first order is all I found for the 8" pipe and it consisted of the following:
All C1 Stainless inner Aluminum Outer
1-8" lateral tee
1-8" 45 Degree Elbow
1-8"x 60" Pipe Length
1-8" Plate Support

This first order would have connected to the roaster and start the first vertical. The plate support would have needed a set of 4 legs to hold the vertical stacks. This cost me 1,390.00 which included shipping. So I am guessing with 6 more vertical would probably be around 1800.00 additional
Don't forget the contracting is marking it up. I purchased mine direct from the local distributor

Just checked the price list I had. A 304 S/S C1 8" Pipe listed for 507.00 each. That was MSRP. I received a contractors discount and I believe I paid just under 250.00 per pipe. My 6" pipe C1 cost me 175.00 per length.
If you are going straight up the hardest part is cutting the hole in the roof. 30' from roaster thru the roof won't even take 4 hours after the hole is cut and the boot glued depending your building of course
View attachment 3869View attachment 3870

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
$6000 quote! Please continue shopping around.
Does your roaster manufacturer have specs for your chimney, beside distance of roaster from wall or combustible material?

You may want to check out this Ebay seller from Nashua, NY.
DVL® Double Wall Stove Pipe 48" Chimney Length Available in 6 7 8" | eBay
Looks like he may have all your chimney needs, especially if you are going thru window or exterior wall.
I use a double wall chimney thru wall kit with mounted base(tee with cap-easy clean out). If I remember,
about 24 feet from base to top cap(3 mounting straps). I use the Nordfab piping from roaster to chimney.
I really like the Nordfab, easy to disassemble with the clamps for cleaning and reassembling.
I do not think I would use this chimney if I was going thru the ceiling/roof though. Charlie has the right set up there.
Even if I do a roast that reaches 450+, that is the drum temp, with the air flow and exhaust escape length
the chimney is sufficient for protection. Has worked fine for my 10k roaster.

Last edited:

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am currently navigating the process of getting stack for a 12k roaster. I am expecting to need 8" diameter.

After researching, and reading some posts here about stack, I contacted a local Selkirk reseller, and for 30' of stack, he quoted me $6k. Thats just the stack, no installation. Specifically, he quoted me on Selkirk IPS-C2 304/304 double wall stainless steel material. I have a few questions on this...

1. Is selkirk a premium product, or is ~$200/ft a fairly standard price for roaster stack?
  2. Are there better places to get this stack? Every time I search for it I go around in circles on these dumb websites.
  3. I found it on ebay, new for 31.99/ft. Selkirk metalbestos 1" insulation, 1000 F rating. ?

Any advice?

Yeah, you might have them requote if you haven't already for the lower grade exterior finished product, and see if you can shorten the distance and keep the number of directional changes to a minimum (1 maximum). However, that sounds close to what they quoted per foot (my quote a couple months ago for 6" for around 15' was $2,800. The stuff isn't cheap!!! You'd think it was lined with gold... I check with a couple other suppliers and they were about the same price, which some were even more.

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
The type of stack required may be governed by your insurance company. The accepted maximum for touch is 140degF, but there may be special requirements as it penetrates your ceiling depending on its construction.
The temperature coming out of the roaster should be about 500deg F and probably should have a double wall with 1" air gap. If you had an Afterburner the temperature would be at least 1200degF and this may require 4"ceramic fiber insulation. At minimum the inner material should be T-304 otherwise the stack will degrade over time. Also, another point to consider is the buildup that will develop on the interior. Without an Afterburner, the cooler the stack interior (i.e. with the least insulation), the faster the buildup will develop.
Selkirk or Ampco (they are the same) are the best for roaster and afterburner stacks (insulated with an air gap or ceramic). Nordfab are good for dust collection and cooler stacks, but not roaster stacks as their standard duct is single wall.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
not to get to fine a wire but Ambex has always suggested Nordfab for their roasters and most companies just tell you that you need Class A pipe. Other variables need to be considered but you do not need Selkirk. I have it because I go to extremes, even the fire department said it was overkill along with every plumber and HVAC guy who has come into my shop for coffee. A bloggett pizza oven is 600 degrees and they do not require Selkirk insulated. Dig out Topher on here. He has had piping systems that reminded you of the mousetrap game!

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
My two cents... Go with Selkirk! Your roaster is an investment. Don't trip over dimes to pick up pennies. The cost difference between the two DIRECTLY translates to a difference in quality. I priced out Nordfab for my 30 kilo roaster and afterburner against the Selkirk equivalent. The savings was $1800 if I went with Nordfab. I went with Selkirk instead because it is a superior product. The exhaust pieces arrived today and will be installed on Thursday. The quality and workmanship of the Selkirk product is superior; and I couldn't be happier with paying more for a superior product.

Do not purchase chimney pipe and use it for your roaster. Read about positive pressure exhaust systems. Your roaster is a positive pressure system; a fireplace is not. Chimney pipe is not designed for positive pressure applications and will leak.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
another company to look at which is reasonable is DuraVent Class A. Similar to Selkirk.

original post started with he was quoted 6K just for 30' of pipe. 200.00 per foot plus install cost? That is a total ripoff. Duravent and Nordfab ( also a sealed clamped pipe, does not leak) can be purchased at a discount rate online. Selkirk C1/C2 series cannot. If he can buy direct from a distributor at a contractors discount, the pipe would be worth getting, but 6K????
The contractor is taking advantage of him

Last edited:

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
another company to look at which is reasonable is DuraVent Class A. Similar to Selkirk.

original post started with he was quoted 6K just for 30' of pipe. 200.00 per foot plus install cost? That is a total ripoff. Duravent and Nordfab ( also a sealed clamped pipe, does not leak) can be purchased at a discount rate online. Selkirk C1/C2 series cannot. If he can buy direct from a distributor at a contractors discount, the pipe would be worth getting, but 6K????
The contractor is taking advantage of him

My quote for the DuraVent equivalent product (called DuraStack) from the local supplier was more than the Selkirk quote by 20% and the guy didn't even know what he was doing, I had to tell him everything I needed. You can't purchase this product online or direct from DuraVent, it is special order only. Where as the Selkirk rep was very knowledgeable, never tried to push the sale and said that this product was a bit overkill (as it pertains to the temperature ratings). That being said I was only venting a 1k roaster. As I recall my quote was for about 15' and it was $2,800 for the Selkirk. I'm listening if anyone has an equivalent (positive pressure vent) product that is cheaper. I couldn't afford this so I went use a 24" section of double walled chimney venting (what they used for pellet stoves) and just vented it straight out the back wall. I think this eliminated the need for positive pressure and it is VERY easy to clean. Even this cost me around $175 for 3 pieces (24" pipe, an appliance adapter, and a 45deg elbow). 30' of double wall chimney pipe will probably run you $1200 or more depending on your setup.
If you're doing this you may need to meet code and regulations but more importantly like one other person mentioned here you need it for the proper pressure rating and the performance of the machine (this is not a fire place chimney).

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Chimney Systems | WoodlandDirect.com: Dura-Vent, Class A Double and Triple Wall Solutions
Duravent can be purchased online and this is one of the many places that sell it. Just because a certain contractor quotes a higher price does not mean that is the real cost
Class A Triple wall and Double wall.
2800.00 for 15" of Selkirk without installation?? what size 4" read my post and see the pics what I have and what I paid. Big markup in pipe unless you purchase it

Last edited:

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Wow, thanks to everyone here for all of the advice. I still have to research this more.

I just got finished visiting Diedrich this week as I am looking to purchase an IR-12 from them. I discussed the stack requirements with them, and they told me to tell whichever vent company I work with I need the following things:

The ability to withstand 1100 - 1400 degree temps (in case of fire).
Handle positive pressure
Ability to be disassembled and cleaned

I had been speaking with Nordfab about it, and after I told them I needed such things, they said they couldn't help. Which I feel is strange as so many people here have recommended them.

Diedrich has given me more suggestions on venting companies, too. I don't mind paying for a good product as I am investing money into a great machine, but I just don't want to be had by anyone.