Packaging system

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
I just got a contract with a major grocery chain and will be providing them with 12oz. bags of ground coffee for approx. 20 stores. I've been weighing and bagging manually but now the volume will be much greater. I'm not looking for a fully automated system, primarily just a machine that will dispense either whole bean or ground coffee in 3oz.-5lbs increments. Any suggestions on makes/models? Thanks

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Taylor TE-10 is what I have for a weigh scale system. Logical are in VT and there are some cheaper Chinese models avialable

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
There are a number of "Weigh & Fill" machines on the market that batch out the roasted whole bean coffee into pre-made bags. Among the most popular (other than the Taylor mentioned above) are ActionPac Scales and Automation in California and Weigh Right Automatic Scale in Illinois. Weigh Right's has more capabilities to accommodate different recipes through its PLC and interface screen.
These need to be used in conjunction with a sealer. Simple impulse sealers can be used or systems that gas flush. For higher rates, a band sealer can be used. PAC Technology in California is a company that has a good selection.
If you manage to make it to the SCAA show in Seattle next month, you should see a number of these companies.

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Note that the ground coffee will have different flow characteristics than the roasted whole bean. So it would be wise to get a machine that can accommodate different recipes

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I asked a similar question awhile back and Topher recommended these people. I have the MP5 ...here is their website. Welcome to the Frontpage . Evidently he's had great service out of the machine and is buying another. I compared their pricing and it is very good. Take a look. (and I've got no vested interest in recommending them). I've talked to the folks at Logical and like them too. The others mentioned here I have no knowledge of.

Oh, one thing, I distribute to grocery stores myself and you will find that you will soon run out of time to do the distribution yourself -- 20 stores can quickly become 40. Find a distributor to partner with. Do your homework, there are good ones and bad ones. Ask the grocer who you are selling to to recommend two or three that he thinks do a good job. They are going to want about 25% so make sure you build that into your price. And 25% may sound like a lot but when you consider your time, gas, etc., etc., they are well worth it. They can also help to get your product into the stores they service that you've never even approached.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
Expat, thanks for all of the info. The MP5 looks like what I need, I'll give them a call Monday. The chain I'm dealing with has their own distribution warehouse about an hour from my shop. They started me in 20 stores and have already said to expect more by the end of the summer. And you're correct the distributor deals with several other chains in the state.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have had my mp5 for 4 or 5 years. Never had an issue. I have also you AMS fillers. They are expensive and you have to buy different augers for ground and whole bean. If you have any specific questions you can email me at [email protected]. Good luck and congrats on the new account!

daneillarsson

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Packaging system is used to pack a product. Thus packaging machinery facilitates in packaging a product so as to contain, protect and preserve it. To know more about packaging machine visit Lagerblad Förpackningsmaskine.

Latest posts