Thermocouple bad?

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi, all,

Looking for some help with a thermocouple problem.

I bought a used Ambex 2kg roaster a few months back. It works great. However, the thermocouple was bent as it exited the holder. Being the fix-er-upper that I am, I tried to straighten it out. After I did, it started reading about 30F too high. Once, I heard a part of the drum tap it. After that, I cooled it down, removed it, then straightened it out and re-installed it. It's still reading 30F too high at the high end. Low end temps seem accurate.

So....

Do I need a new thermocouple? Can I calibrate this one? If I need a new one, where to get besides Ambex? They're not answering the phone or emails. I looked on Watlow's site and didn't see anything that was the same size.

many thanks

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey there...are you calling 727-251-9262? If not try that number. It is his cell number.

That's the number I'm calling. I'll give it a few more tries over the next few days. I don't need to roast anything for a few more weeks.

thanks!

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've misplaced my notes - still looking. Before the probe started acting up, I would dump at 438 just after 2nd crack started. If I remember correctly, now it's going over 440 before 1st crack. I dumped the last two batches early fearing I'd burn the beans, but they never got into 2nd crack.

I only roast for our home use, so it will be a while before I need to roast any more. In the meantime, I can get a new probe and see if that fixes the glitch. Paul emailed and said he has one, so I'll see about getting that one.

thanks

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
I just messed one of mine up on my Ambex YM-10. Email or call Amer he'll get you one quick. I purchased 2 (1 to fix machine 1 backup) and he mailed them express, I was up and roasting within 2 days of breaking it. Paul at Roaster Dynamics has them in stock also.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
You may want to keep in mind that every probe reads little bit different. Going from a older probe to a new probe you may get different readings. Paul at Roaster Dynamics is very good with this stuff I suggest giving hime a ring.

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello, slurp. Yea, I expected some difference. I also suspect that the watlow can be calibrated, but I haven't found out how to do that yet.

regards

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Charlie,

I've found some documentation on the watlow devices, but nothing detailed enough to carry out a calibration. Do you have any links you'd care to share?

thank you

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
you need to find the temp with the existing TC with a thermometer

set the watlow to a specific temp and let the drum warm up to that temp. Using a Fluke digital temp with the thin probe that is used to check stoves put it as close as possible to the TC inside. Some roasters have another hole drilled just for a bean probe for their logging. That would be the best way but the other works also. Set the offset up or down on the Watlow. Doesn't have to be a fluke but they are the most accurate.

Razzo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BGI;

Order a new thermocouple from Graingers. I broke my thermocouple while cleaning the roaster. I found the replacement part at Grainers and had it the same day. The cost was reasonable too.

Hi, all,

Looking for some help with a thermocouple problem.

I bought a used Ambex 2kg roaster a few months back. It works great. However, the thermocouple was bent as it exited the holder. Being the fix-er-upper that I am, I tried to straighten it out. After I did, it started reading about 30F too high. Once, I heard a part of the drum tap it. After that, I cooled it down, removed it, then straightened it out and re-installed it. It's still reading 30F too high at the high end. Low end temps seem accurate.

So....

Do I need a new thermocouple? Can I calibrate this one? If I need a new one, where to get besides Ambex? They're not answering the phone or emails. I looked on Watlow's site and didn't see anything that was the same size.

many thanks

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Omega.com and Automation direct. First you need to know the size. 3/16, 1/4......how long? You can easily bend them with a tubing bender or if you are careful anything with a smooth round surface. No kinks in the bend

bgi

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to revive this old thread. I finally needed to roast some more beans, so I decided to go with sight, sound, and smell to judge the roast. The temp readings are spot-on, so it would seem that I don't need a new thermocouple or any adjustment. thanks for the support!