Where do you get your shop supplies?

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
I'm wondering where you guys are getting your "shop supplies." Like grinders and pour-over cones and Chemexes and filters and all that fun stuff. I don't plan to be a reseller, but I don't want to pay retail either. Suggestions?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I get them from amazon.com
unless you buy them in bulk, if you buy one or two pcs, amazon has the best pricing and return policy.
however, when I needed to buy some Professional stuff (cupping cups/spoons, cupping roasting machine, specialty equipments..etc), I go with professional on-line sellers.

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
Thanks, ensoluna. I've been doing the Amazon thing, but I feel like there has to be a better way. For instance, you now see a lot of coffee shops selling brew supplies like chemex, aeropress, various Hario stuff, baratza grinders, etc. And they are selling at similar prices that you would see on Amazon. There must be a wholesale distributor who they get all this from. And there must be a decent wholesale discount, or else why would they be doing it?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks, ensoluna. I've been doing the Amazon thing, but I feel like there has to be a better way. For instance, you now see a lot of coffee shops selling brew supplies like chemex, aeropress, various Hario stuff, baratza grinders, etc. And they are selling at similar prices that you would see on Amazon. There must be a wholesale distributor who they get all this from. And there must be a decent wholesale discount, or else why would they be doing it?

Earlier, you said you're not interested in being a reseller and buying in bulk. That's the only way you'd get a decent break in the price. Maybe you could go to the local coffee shop and wheedle them into giving you a lower price. They probably mark up the price 50% of what they pay for it anyway.

If you have a Bed, Bath and Beyond store near you, you can always use their 20% off coupons, and buy your items one at a time.

soliloquy

Feb 13, 2014
northfield, mn
Visit site
It's not always true that you have to buy in bulk to get wholesale prices. A lot of wholesalers just want to make sure you're a real business, and you're not going to sell there stuff on e bay below map. For instance, I called up Baratza today and set up a wholesale account with them--no minimum purchase. I now have a Vario on the way. Same with Toddy--set up an account just to get filters for their 5 gallon cold brew bucket--half the price of buying retail.

I'm still looking for a single distributor, though, rather than, for example, having to place an order with Chemex when I need their filters and Kalita when I need theirs.

I'll do some more digging on the google and report back.

Music_Geek

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
By way of comparison, there are different tiers of distribution in the Musical Instrument industry.
For example, there are products that I can go directly to the manufacturer for, and there are products that I have to go to a multi-line distributor/wholesaler, for.
MOST of the individual companies WILL deal with me, as a brick and mortar store.
SOME have minimum buy-ins for the first order and no minimum thereafter.
Some always have minimums.
Some have no restrictions at all.

So it's a matter of whether you want to ping everyone on it... but I have to imagine that the regional wholesaler EXISTS.
There's probably a company that sells Chemex paper, Melitta filters, V60 papers etc, that sells wholesale.

At the very least you want to be able to do this so that you're not paying sales tax and then reselling and having to charge that sales tax again, etc.
As a retailer, you should be able to make some of this stuff happen. Maybe start asking some local coffee shops where they get theirs?

This thread help at all? http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-drinks/3425-ordering-supplies-etc.html

Last edited:

cafeluxehome

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, same with ensoluna. I also usually get supplies from amazon. There are a lot of materials there too, like frothing pitchers, milk frothers and other stuffs that can help you in making excellent coffee.