'New Kid in Town' Etiquette?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I'd love to hear everyone's advice / thoughts on the proper etiquette for a new roaster setting up shop in terms of communicating with the roasters already established in that town. Should you drop by before opening to just say hello? How might that be perceived by an established roaster?

Just looking to gather the thoughts of everyone here, because while I don't think a new roaster necessarily *OWES* it to other local roasters to inform them of their intentions, I guess it wouldn't typically hurt to say hello and get to know them a bit on a friendly level.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I have had other roasters stop in. some call, some just happen to be in the area. As long as we are not busy I enjoy the visit and get a chance to compare notes and swap ideas.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Depends on how friendly they are. I reached out to a few that never contacted me back. I found others that were helpful and happy to have me in their facilities, especially ones that are further away from me geographically.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Obviously. I guess that is just human nature.

however, I came to realize that "never burn bridges" and "always try to help out" works the best in coffee industry (at least in Guatemala because it is such a small place and something happens today, everyone knows about it by tomorrow)

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Depends on how friendly they are. I reached out to a few that never contacted me back. I found others that were helpful and happy to have me in their facilities, especially ones that are further away from me geographically.

Yes, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I can see how some might be "over the moon" to meet another roaster in the area, and how others might clam up and feel threatened and allow their competitive side to kick in. I'll plan to reach out in a very friendly, non-threatening way and see what happens. Can't hurt, I suppose.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Do it! I love meeting new roasters. They are opening left and right down here. I make a point to visit each one. It's great to have back up in case you hit a snag...Slurp and I have helped each other out when we were in jams.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
There are only a small handful of craft roasters in my city, so it won't take long.

The words 'small' and 'craft' may have something to do with how far they throw out the welcome mat; slurp and Topher are well-established, larger roasters, with what I assume are multiple retail outlets and/or online sales... if a new kid walks in, there's no reason for them to feel threatened (not sayin' they would). The chances would be greater that a small community such as yours with small roasters, that they'd see you as perhaps stealing some much-needed sales.

That said, I still say you're smart to go knock on some doors and shake some hands.

Latest posts