Looking for roasting partner using Diedrich IR

forwellever

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm a small green bean importer and I'm looking for a roasting partner or someone who offers roasting services using a Diedrich IR Roaster. I'm located in the San Francisco area, and I import through L.A. so west coast is ideal but not required. I'm looking to have beans roasted in bulk and shipped to me for packaging. I would prefer a small or micro-roaster rather than large commercial (due to the fact I'm not going to be roasting thousands of pounds a month and I prefer a more personal relationship with the beans). The only requirement is that it must be using an IR roaster.

If you would like to discuss, or if you can point me in the right direction, let me know. I cannot find anyone that meets this description in my geographical area. I'm new to the boards so I can't post my contact info.

Thanks for reading.

Zorthog

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
@forwellever, I don't want to hijack your post topic so can you give me a quick rundown on why you're looking for an IR. I'm in the market for my first commercial roaster and I'm looking at Diedrich and Ambex. Thanks.

forwellever

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Sure, I don't want this post to become a debate so I'll be brief but the reason I'm looking to specifically roast these beans with an IR is to avoid exposure to combustion, fumes, grain and husk waste and anything that could be potentially a human carcinogen (whether documented or speculated).

It's also not common, and creates the opportunity for a technological USP for marketing a specialty line of beans directed at a small market segment.

Last edited:

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Why don't you try a fluid based roaster then. IR roasters have very slow heat control. May be you can explain why you think gases get in your beans form a flam roaster? Did you now that coffee off gases no matter what type of heat source you use. LP or Nat gas is used in IR roasters too, have to get heat from some where.

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you try a fluid based roaster then. IR roasters have very slow heat control. May be you can explain why you think gases get in your beans form a flam roaster? Did you now that coffee off gases no matter what type of heat source you use. LP or Nat gas is used in IR roasters too, have to get heat from some where.

Slurp, You can knock IR roasters, like many do, but some of the best roasters out there are using Diedrich IR roasters. I can't really say what you are telling is true or not or even if that's important, because it is all in how you roast and the only thing important is the outcome and I have tasted some amazing coffee roasted in IR roasters. What Forwellever is getting at here is that IR burners are supposed to burn cleaner than your standard burners and being that most systems use air from the burner chamber those unburnt gases are then sent through the drum and exposed to the beans. I'm not going to or trying to debate if that is significant to the roast because that like arguing if Organic and Non organic food is important to you.