"Laundry List" of Questions to Ask Zoning / Planning Departments?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I know this topic has been covered several times across several threads, but I'm wondering if there exists a good, thorough list of questions to ask one's local zoning / planning department.

If I've missed the thread that contains this list, please let me know by posting the link here. If not, I'm wondering if you veteran professional roasters who have gone through all the nonsense can compile a list of must-knows and things that must be addressed going into the lease of a facility in preparation for establishing a roastery. I'm fully aware that every locality will have different requirements, etc., but I would imagine most of the questions that need to be asked would be fairly standard no matter where we're talking about.

Thanks in advance!

~ Ryan

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
With me it was the sink issue. Board of Health handles that issue here but other states have other inspectors. They seem to be pushing certified kitchens even if you are just a roaster
Whoever handles that department in your town/city I would approach them to see what they will require.
Roaster installation will be your plumbing/building and maybe fire inspector. See where and how they want it installed and how they want it vented
Buildout is another pain depending on where you are.
UL approved equipment is something that is required but sometimes overlooked by inspectors
Plumbing inspector for your drains, filtering systems and potable water
Zoning: will they allow a roaster in your area.
I went through the appeals board to get my business variance where some towns in my state you need to apply to the selectman.
Also depends how much of an argument you wish to get involved in if you do not agree with the inspectors. Some will bend a little others will not. Seems to be a power ego thing.
If you are installing a roaster that would be the main item to discuss with the local god all mighty's! Have all of the info and pictures of what you plan on installing.
A roaster in Florida purchased an Ambex and the town would not allow it but they allowed a Toper.
In MA if the roaster is not on the MA gas approved appliance list then you need a variance. No big deal if you have a friend who is an engineer.
Signage can be another issue.
Our health dept wanted to know how much water I would be using compared to what was going to be waste. No town sewerage here.
Maintaining hours: There is a difference in wording as far as when you are open to the public and when you can be there working. Different towns here have different rules. Even though you might only be open 6-2, apply for 5 - 11pm. I put the hours 5 -11 and I am only open to the public 6-6. I can be in the building work before and after the posted hours just not open. I roast after or before I open to the public.
Basically I would just go to the city/town hall and talk to all of the department heads and show them your plans and get them involved with decisions. Makes them feel special!!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Do not bring up an Afterburner in any conversation. CA demands on even on a 1lb roaster and some require one after a certain size but for the most part 12KG and under seems to be in the safe zone. It's all about BTU's. If by some chance you are required to install one, that would mean changing your incoming gas from a low pressure to a medium pressure system which can cost big bucks and the gas consumption will kill you money wise. Venting would also be another cost factor

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Charlie has a lot of wise words. I'm going through the start up process right now and the one word of advice I can give you is BE PROACTIVE. I have been talking with the local health dept and city for several months and it has been an easy process because I was proactive. In fact, I have found several people to be very helpful. I would agree with Charlie's comment about the afterburner... its simply confuses most people and they get this idea in their mind that you will be generating tons of pollutants. In the State of KS, I had to go through a review process of the roaster and emission outputs. Once they dug into they realized the 12K roaster I was looking at would pass with flying colors.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
The best thing I can advise is hire a professional general contractor. Do not run the permits or do the construction yourself. Let them handle the entire project not just a little part. Contractors work with local governments everyday and should know the requirements. Additionally a contractor knows all the paperwork and has staff that can draw plans and so forth. It may seem like more but in the long run but you will save money more than doing it yourself.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
The best thing I can advise is hire a professional general contractor. Do not run the permits or do the construction yourself. Let them handle the entire project not just a little part. Contractors work with local governments everyday and should know the requirements. Additionally a contractor knows all the paperwork and has staff that can draw plans and so forth. It may seem like more but in the long run but you will save money more than doing it yourself.

Yes! I'm a huge believer in letting the professionals handling things.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I know this topic has been covered several times across several threads, but I'm wondering if there exists a good, thorough list of questions to ask one's local zoning / planning department.

If I've missed the thread that contains this list, please let me know by posting the link here. If not, I'm wondering if you veteran professional roasters who have gone through all the nonsense can compile a list of must-knows and things that must be addressed going into the lease of a facility in preparation for establishing a roastery. I'm fully aware that every locality will have different requirements, etc., but I would imagine most of the questions that need to be asked would be fairly standard no matter where we're talking about.

Thanks in advance!

~ Ryan

Be sure you find out what zoning category coffee roasting/wholesaling will fall under when looking for a location. I found many locations that would have been perfect, but they were in the wrong zone, and to go through filing variances and waiting around while towns/cities make up their mind can really kill you.

rascott

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Check local code requirements. Most inspectors do not know what a coffee roaster does or how it does it. Many municipalities are concerned about smoke/particulate matter. Shop roasters, up to and including the 12k, produce much less smoke than a Burger King and a much better smell. Afterburners will eliminate the problem if your location has an issue and can be installed on any size roaster. In California, we recommend a Revelation version which not only burns the smoke, but recycles the waste heat to reduce energy costs.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Check local code requirements. Most inspectors do not know what a coffee roaster does or how it does it. Many municipalities are concerned about smoke/particulate matter. Shop roasters, up to and including the 12k, produce much less smoke than a Burger King and a much better smell. Afterburners will eliminate the problem if your location has an issue and can be installed on any size roaster. In California, we recommend a Revelation version which not only burns the smoke, but recycles the waste heat to reduce energy costs.

Thanks, Roger. We've done a bit of preliminary checking, but we'll need to delve into that with our local masters of red tape in the weeks ahead. I'll be sure to use that line about Burger King. :)

~ Ryan

Latest posts