Best Solution for Bag Labels

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I'm working with our graphic designer on laying out our bag design. We're going to use labels on the bottom of the front side to accommodate the large variety of coffees that will be rotating through the roastery.

I'm thinking printing the labels ourselves from a really nice label printer from a file in Adobe Illustrator is the way to go. Any reason this doesn't make sense?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
For me, if the cost per label is even close via a printing service, I'll go with them rather than worry about a printer/ink/paper, and take the time to do it.

The larger label on the front of my bags has a blank box at the bottom for the coffee origin, and I print of small-ish address return labels for that small box. Then I have a 2x4 glossy label for the back with my cupping notes/flavor description that print off on a laser.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
as long as you don´t cut them out by hand :( i had my labels digitally printed in 4 color process on textured adhesive stock. then had them cut on a large guillotine cutter. or you can opt for the die cut labels and print 8-up for example. if you want quality, go with traditional printing and get them uv coated ($)

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Skip the whole label process and get printed bags.
I am going to get custom printed bags, but I'll likely have dozens of different coffees rotating through my roastery over the course of time. There's no way to (affordably) have a bag manufacturer print the quantity required for each individual coffee, is there?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've been to several coffee roasters who have custom printed labels that have a space where they write the name of the coffee on the bag. (with a Sharpie marker).

I ask for a pound of a certain coffee, and they write the name of the coffee and the date on the bag and put the roasted coffee into the bag as I'm standing there watching them.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
in small production, labels are the way to go. easy enough to go into your adobe illustrator file and change things. i have 4 different labels made up: whole bean, ground, 250 gr and 500 gr.and they look more personal :razz: here's mine
267.JPG

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I have 3 labels that we're professionally done...two of them are my standard and the third is a rotating origin where I write on the label. It works well for now given level of production and cost to produce. I use a local printer that pre cuts them for me so I just stick them on the bag.