Roastery Equipment -- What'cha Got?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
You veteran roasters ... please give us an idea of what tools / equipment you have BESIDES THE ROASTING MACHINE, particularly the items you find most needed (e.g. scales, shelving, buckets, gadgets for measuring moisture, etc.).

I have an investor who is asking me for a good, thorough list of needs and a ballpark figure on what we're looking at for cost.

Thanks!

~ Ryan

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
scalesgalore.com has a great selection and pricing for scales. That is where we purchased ours. Pricing varies so it all depends on how much you want to spend. Ohaus is top of the line. Using a Mettler Toldeo UPS shipping scale also. Bean urinals, that is what I refer to them. Great invention for getting the roasted beans in the bags for manual operation. About 30.00 each. I believe espressoparts.com has them. Moisture meter if you want quality, then go with a Shore Meter. 1,000.00 average. You can buy cheaper ones but you get what you pay for. Do you really need one is the question. Filtering system is important...the list can go on and on...figure the larger items such as a brewer/s, grinders, hot water brewer, espresso machine. As you well know there are many to choose from. We use Wilbur Curtis G4 brewers and Fetco. All Mahlkonig Grinders and a couple of Compak. Optipure filtering system OP350/16, Shore Moisture meter, bag sealer s from AIE and OK International. True Refrigeration, Ice-O-Matic ice machine, lots of tubing and push to connect connectors. Freezer is a plus. Ipad for your register. We just switched to Square from Shopkeep. Cash draw and if you need a receipt printer go with Star. A friend who is a electrician, plumber and HVAC is also a plus..just a drop in the hat!!!

Madelaine

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Charlie, I see you've changed from Shopkeep to Square for your POS. Any specific reasons why? I'm looking at both as possibilities; our current non-coffee business uses Square for card acceptance, but I liked the fact that Shopkeep also had things like time clock functionality. Was it a feature or interface-based decision, or was cost the primary reason for the change?

Thanks!
-Maddy

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Hi Charlie, I see you've changed from Shopkeep to Square for your POS. Any specific reasons why? I'm looking at both as possibilities; our current non-coffee business uses Square for card acceptance, but I liked the fact that Shopkeep also had things like time clock functionality. Was it a feature or interface-based decision, or was cost the primary reason for the change?

Thanks!
-Maddy

49.00 per month for ShopKeep and I really do not need their customer support. Great program and setup and if you don't mind the monthly fee I would say go for it. You also pay 49.00 for each additional register/Ipad set up.
That was the only reason.