Leaky Nordfab Exhaust Pipes

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not happy with the clamps on my nordfab vents. I'm noticing smoke coming out in small amounts in several locations. Even as I tighten and refit them, smoke continues to come out. While it is not a large amount, I'm aiming for a leak-free roasting environment.

Has anyone experienced this with Nordfab? How have you dealt with it? Is there a sealer someone can recommend?

FWIW, I am not a fan of aluminum exhaust tape. Yes, it works...but it's ugly and appears tacky to customers; and I want a clean installation.

I'm tempted to take my tig welder to all the joints and have a field day.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
they do use a high temp sealer such as Selkirk and other clamp systems. Contact Nordfab as they do sell it. McMaster Carr would also carry it

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Smoke free environment? Ruh roh. I have to turn my A/C off due to the smoke when I do a dark roast. If you leave the a/c on the smoke get pulled into the intake and sets off an alarm. How much smoke are you talking about? How much smoke are we talking about?

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Smoke free environment? Ruh roh. I have to turn my A/C off due to the smoke when I do a dark roast. If you leave the a/c on the smoke get pulled into the intake and sets off an alarm. How much smoke are you talking about? How much smoke are we talking about?

Smoke coming out of the drum during the dump is OK, and not something that can be prevented. Smoke coming out of the seams on exhaust pipes is not something I want to see.

I have some 3M fire barrier sealant, which is intended to seal smoke and fire from cracks. I'm going to try that today to see if it helps on the seams of the Nordfab. If that does not help, I'm getting the tig welder out.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I get it. I do not get smoke leaking from pipes...it does pour out the back where my exhaust impeller fan is. After a few hours logged in on your new roaster the smoke will go away...just needs a nice coat of creasote ;)

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I get it. I do not get smoke leaking from pipes...it does pour out the back where my exhaust impeller fan is. After a few hours logged in on your new roaster the smoke will go away...just needs a nice coat of creasote ;)

Ah, that was the next thread I was going to post: the smoke coming out of the exhaust blower motor. Is there any way to seal it? I did a dark roast on Saturday and filled the room up with smoke during the last 20 to 30 degrees before the dump. Is this common?

I roasted on a Sivitz for years and got some smoke during the tail end of dark roasts. The Sivitz did not have an exhaust fan per se -- only a main blower that would force air and exhaust through the roasting chamber, so it wasn't much of a problem. Is the smoke you describe common to all drum roasters or is it common to the type of exhaust blower used on Ambex roasters?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
yes this is common. Can't really see a way to seal the exhaust blower motor...I was half joking about the pipes forming a seal. You will see less smoke as you roast more. When you do clean your pipes(I suggest often) you will see the smoke again for a day or so depending on how much you roast.
smoke1.jpgsmoke2.jpgsmoke3.jpgsmoke4.jpg

Latest posts