Any Problems With Pet Hair?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Question for veteran roasters, here.

For those of you who have pets (especially dogs), have you had to make any special effort to make sure none of the stray hairs you carry on your clothing and into the roastery make it into bags of roasted coffee?

I'm actually quite concerned about this, because we have three dogs who are quite prolific shedders. We vacuum constantly and try to make sure our clothing is free of the hair, but it's literally impossible to get them all.

Just wondering if any of you have any experience / tips on making sure pet hair doesn't make it into a customer's bag.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yup....I'd be very upset if I found some dog hair in my bag of roasted beans. It's good that you're aware of the problem, and you're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Chef's jackets, hair nets, and hats are usually used to help keep human hair from falling into food items. It sounds like it would be difficult with pet hair, because it would be on your pants too.

You could try to have a designated set of clothes that you change into when you're in your work area.

It will be interesting to see what the other roasters have to say. Maybe someone else has experienced the same thing and found a solution.

wisnulie

May 24, 2015
Visit site
nice information
thanks all
smiley-emoticon.gif

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
At the very least get some long white lab coats or mechanic's jump suit and keep them in the roastery. When you go to the roastery vacuum your clothes and since you never get every hair put the coat/jump suit on over your vacuumed clothes. Don't let the dogs near the roastery clothes.

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Pet hair will make your coffee more carcinogenic than the drum roaster it is being roasted in. :images:

But on a serious note, I wear polyester based shirts which are pretty good at repelling pet hair. I also have and use an apron at the roasting facility that ALWAYS stays there.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Polyester is a petroleum derived fabric and thus highly carcinogenic --- way more than dog or cat hair ever thought about being.

Cotton, while natural, has probably been sprayed with RoundUp --- also linked to cancer.

So why chance anything. Shave your pets and roast naked, it's the only way!

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Polyester is a petroleum derived fabric and thus highly carcinogenic --- way more than dog or cat hair ever thought about being.

Cotton, while natural, has probably been sprayed with RoundUp --- also linked to cancer.

So why chance anything. Shave your pets and roast naked, it's the only way!

I've tried roasting naked, butt never seem to be able to get past first crack.