Just Placed Our Order with U.S. Roaster Corp!

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I had to come here to share the news! We'll be opening our roastery this autumn (September / October), and we decided on a 12kg Millenium Roaster from Dan & Co. at U.S. Roaster Corp. in Oklahoma City.

Dan has already been great to deal with as we sort out which features we want (both functional and cosmetic). This roasting machine will have tremendous capabilities of helping us track each roast as we develop unique profiles for every coffee that comes through our doors. We would love to have the more "sustainable" Revelation model, but that was too much of a reach in terms of cost as we're just starting out.

We've set a goal to be roasting on a Revelation model within five years, though. Big savings on energy consumption, plus the benefit of almost zero emissions.

Anyway, I'll post an occasional update here whenever Dan sends me a photo on the progress. :razz:

Madelaine

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Congrats! We're on an oddly parallel course to you; just sent our first payment to USRC for a 5k roaster, also hoping we can open in August / Sept!

I'm hoping a year from now that we'll both have great success stories. :)

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Congrats! We're on an oddly parallel course to you; just sent our first payment to USRC for a 5k roaster, also hoping we can open in August / Sept!

I'm hoping a year from now that we'll both have great success stories. :)

Yes, likewise! Best wishes as you get your business underway, Madelaine.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
and I'm about 30 days from ordering my USR... probably stepping up to a 12K myself.

If your heading to OKC for training... check out Elemental Coffee (Elemental Coffee)... they were super nice people running a Probat. Its about 2-3 miles east of Dan's shop.

Last edited:

rascott

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
USRC 12k roaster

I had to come here to share the news! We'll be opening our roastery this autumn (September / October), and we decided on a 12kg Millenium Roaster from Dan & Co. at U.S. Roaster Corp. in Oklahoma City.

Dan has already been great to deal with as we sort out which features we want (both functional and cosmetic). This roasting machine will have tremendous capabilities of helping us track each roast as we develop unique profiles for every coffee that comes through our doors. We would love to have the more "sustainable" Revelation model, but that was too much of a reach in terms of cost as we're just starting out.

We've set a goal to be roasting on a Revelation model within five years, though. Big savings on energy consumption, plus the benefit of almost zero emissions.

Anyway, I'll post an occasional update here whenever Dan sends me a photo on the progress. :razz:

We will be sure to send you photos of your roaster's progress

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
We appreciate the opportunity to work with you on your new ventures

Roger@USRC

Thanks very much, Roger. My experience with USRC has already been a great one. Dan has answered my 7,000 questions as I've been trying to nail down exactly what we need (while staying within our budget). We're looking forward to seeing this machine come alive.

~ Ryan

quantumbeancoffee

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Were you all required to get an afterburner for your 5 and 12 kilo roasters? I am having trouble finding what is required in my state (WV). I have heard that the state of Texas, for instance, does not require the use of an afterburner. We are thinking about upgrading to a 5 kilo but are hesitant because the afterburner is 5K more than the roaster (Diedrich IR5) which makes the upgrade nearly impossible for us. Congrats on the new roasters.

Madelaine

May 14, 2015
Visit site
No definitive answer from me, but from what I'v read, the afterburner really comes into play when you approach the 10-12K size. Do some research first on requirements from your local Air Quality Management District, then Google "coffee roaster emissions" to find some really detailed reports on the observed emissions per roasted pound of coffee, then see if 5 or 12k would output enough to raise red flags with your local government.

Congrats on the roaster! Im looking forward to the pics and updates!
A friend had a USRC and it was very nice and did a great job. I'd love one of their's someday!

Interesting on the afterburner, especially as we learn about the roasting side of the business.
-Daniel Kent