Looking to buy anIR-12 or San Franciscan roaster!

bbettini

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

We have outgrown our IR-6 roaster.
Would like to buy either a 12 lb or 25 lb roaster and Afterburner.

Would sell both our IR-6's with their afterburners also!

Brian

MSM

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The SF25 comes with an afterburner. Both are mighty fine machines. I've roasted on both, though not an IR with an afterburner. It would be a tough decision, but if I were making it, my 2 cents would be to lean toward greater volume capacity, since you're facing outgrowth. The SF25 has more usable capacity, while the IR tends to cap out good tumbling and airflow at no more than 80% of the rated capacity, depending on the coffee.

MSM

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Another consideration would be the fact that they operate quite differently. If you're used to roasting in the IR, and you are totally satisfied with it, switching to a larger capacity IR will not change much about the approach. However, the SF25 is aggressively responsive and you'll find heat application and airflow adjustment to be dramatically different than the IR.

Any good operator will be able to find the best out of each, and I am sure you would find your rhythm on either one, no problem. One of the most encouraging things about roasting coffee is that (with exceptions) usually starting with good coffee results in good coffee.

Latest posts