Chicory coffee

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Does anyone have experience working with chicory? Do you roast it, buy it roasted? What do you blend with (other origins)? I have a chef that is interested in buying some from me if I can get my hands on some.

thanks!

Ron

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I have tried out a lot of different coffees, but chicory coffee, I never have in my life.
I did not even know that chicory was a plant and you can roast and grind the root to mix with coffee.
so, I have checked some info in internet and found below brief description.

[h=4]Coffee & Chicory is the traditional favorite of every New Orleans native. Coffee & Chicory blends are best enjoyed with a dose of warmed milk in the "au lait" style. We mix estate-grade coffees with the highest quality Belgian and French chicory to produce a traditional and distinctive flavor profile.[/h]
if any of members have some experience in this kind of coffee and are drinking now, please give us some comments and your personal opinion about this coffee & flavor profile and how this coffee gets prepared.

it would be also interesting to know whether this type of coffee can be more popular around the world.
or it is just special coffee that only New Orleans native will enjoy.
thanks and appreciate your comments in advance.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
According to Mark Pendergrast, in his book "Uncommon Grounds", chicory was introduced as a coffee substitute in France under Napoleon's Continental System, whereby France sought to become a self sufficient manufacturer of everything it needed. Coffee was something they could not produce in sufficient quantity for their own consumption, and chicory was used to stretch the supply to meet demand. As with anything, one becomes so accustomed to the taste of things, over time, that even poor tasting beverages are preferred because of familiarity. I seriously doubt that chicory coffee will win over new advocates unless it is the intent to assimilate into the Louisiana/French/Creole culture as thoroughly as possible.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
According to Mark Pendergrast, in his book "Uncommon Grounds", chicory was introduced as a coffee substitute in France under Napoleon's Continental System, whereby France sought to become a self sufficient manufacturer of everything it needed. Coffee was something they could not produce in sufficient quantity for their own consumption, and chicory was used to stretch the supply to meet demand. As with anything, one becomes so accustomed to the taste of things, over time, that even poor tasting beverages are preferred because of familiarity. I seriously doubt that chicory coffee will win over new advocates unless it is the intent to assimilate into the Louisiana/French/Creole culture as thoroughly as possible.

mmmm.. very interesting story.
however, I would love to try it out.
As soon as I go back to my home, I am planning to buy some and try it out.
here are some photos I got from Internet. it seems like Chicory has various uses.

View attachment 4408View attachment 4409

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Thanks for the input! I've done some research and ordered a few pounds and will play around with some mixes! It does sound like it was initially used as a filler and now its common in the New Orleans area. Will let everyone know how it goes!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input! I've done some research and ordered a few pounds and will play around with some mixes! It does sound like it was initially used as a filler and now its common in the New Orleans area. Will let everyone know how it goes!

Great. I also will order some and try it out personally and post the result in this forum.
thanks and have a good day.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
It is a staple in NOLA. I personally can not stand chichory. When I first worked in a coffee shop we sold straight chicory for people to blend in to their coffee. I used to have a customer that would buy 2 lbs a month. I asked him once what he did with it since he never bought coffee. He explained that when the great depression happened he couldn't afford coffee. He as many did used it to "cut" their coffee. He said that he got to the point where he would drink it straight. UGH! Side note. Our least expensive coffee then was Colombian Supremo and it was $4.99 a lb. Chicory was $2.99 a lb. If you want pm me your email and I will find out what the percentage of chicory to coffee they are using in NOLA...I know a few people that do it.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
hi topher,
i guess Chicory in NOLA is like Spam in Hawaii. they all became out of necessary and acquired taste at the end.
by the way, what would be the best ratio to mix with ground coffee?
water vs ground coffeee vs chicory ground ratio?

As you said, i am assuming that it will not be a great tasting coffee.
but at least, out of curiosity, I would like to try it.
thanks

Muddydog

Jun 30, 2015
Morrisville, NC
Visit site
We sell chicory coffee on our website. We buy the chicory from a grower in New Orleans. The coffee we use is a blend of Brazil and Sumatra. To make one pound of chicory coffee, we grind 2/3 lb of coffee then mix in 1/3 lb of chicory. This coffee is sold pre-ground only. We named it "Who Dat!" after a chant used by fans of the New Orleans Saints. Check it out on our website- muddydogcoffee.com

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
We sell chicory coffee on our website. We buy the chicory from a grower in New Orleans. The coffee we use is a blend of Brazil and Sumatra. To make one pound of chicory coffee, we grind 2/3 lb of coffee then mix in 1/3 lb of chicory. This coffee is sold pre-ground only. We named it "Who Dat!" after a chant used by fans of the New Orleans Saints. Check it out on our website- muddydogcoffee.com

hello Muddydog,
it seems like you are using 2:1 ration between coffee:chicory.
one of the forum members advised that it would be better to do 8:1 ration, but 2:1?
isn't it too much of chicory flavor?
Personally, how do you like your own chicory coffee?

Muddydog

Jun 30, 2015
Morrisville, NC
Visit site
A customer requested chicory coffee like they do in New Orleans. So, we got our ratios from our chicory supplier, who is from New Orleans. Personally, I am not a huge fan of chicory. But the coffee was not made for me. Our customers who do enjoy chicory coffee love our Who Dat! blend.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
According to my father (native of Louisiana who died at age 86) the depression was tough on New Orleans and the coffee trade. People were buying whatever beans possible - usually ending up with random blends of lesser grade beans. Chicory was a known filler (see the earlier post on its early use in France) and readily available, so it was blended in as an extender. One residual affect was the reduction of bitterness in these random blends of beans, so it became a staple of the coffee market down there. Anyone who grew up on Community or Cafe Du Monde has an acquired taste for coffee with chicory and it takes years of bean therapy to overcome it!

Latest posts