Roaster bearings

Axel

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
If I'm preheating the roaster at about 500°F for about 20minutes(to make sure everything is up to temperature) before bringing it back down to the drop temp, what bearings should I get?

Seems that even if I space the bearings away from the front and rear plates, the heat transfer through the 2" shaft may be significant.
Would 400°F (400°F continuous , 450°F intermittent) high heat bearings suffice? what are the bearings on commercial roasters rated for?

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Hi Axel, is there a reason why you are preheating to 500 degrees? Seems to me a preheat to 420-450 is sufficient. I personally never preheat over 430 degrees. Hopefully Steve from Mill City Roasters could help here or others in the forum.

Last edited:

Axel

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Is 450° the highest temperature I would ever want/need the roaster at?

I've read that poorly preheated drums are a common cause of inconsistent roasting. supposedly it's best to get the temperature higher during preheat to make sure none of the inner parts will work as heat sinks... probably also shortens the preheat time..

Last edited:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I personally do not roast that often at a finish past 450. Surely a deep French roast or Italian and Spanish roast would exceed that.
A 15-20 minute preheat has always been sufficient for me. The roasts are even. If you charge temp is too high you will get tipping
or scorched beans on the surface. Monday, I did a 9lb. batch of FTO Col. Excelso, charge temp was 435 degrees.

Attachments

• colomexcelso.jpg
    colomexcelso.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 343

Axel

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies!

looks like I'm gonna go with the400°F (400°F continuous , 450°F intermittent) bearing, it has the 2" bore and food grade grease.
I may go with the pillow block and space it away from the roaster like on an industrial cocoa roaster.
The Coffee Collective Blog: Visit to Probat
Probably attach it upside down so that it's less in the way and the door can open...

Last edited: