Bali Bluemoon?

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone had specific opinions on/experience with Bali Blue Moon coffee. I am working with my importer and am going to cup some of it with them. Their cupping notes describe it having dark chocolate, brown sugar and a clean finish. Sounds like it may be a solid coffee. Just wanted to hear any opinions that may be out there.

Thanks

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I like it a lot too, and sell a lot of it. Just know that the bags at the importer, while still good, are last year's crop and new crop will be here most likely late Fall. Not a big deal, just don't buy a whole year's worth.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
So I had my meeting yesterday and tasted the Bali Bluemoon (wet-hulled), among others, and it was a very nice coffee. The importer roasted the sample a bit too dark I think, but it was still great. It had a lot of body, and some really nice notes of pepper and chocolate. I think I like it as a dark-ish (not too dark) roast as it was still clean, yet robust enough to stand up to milk for those who like that.

Anyway, the other coffees I tasted were delightful as well, and I figured I'd share a bit about them.

Ethiopian Sidamo, naturally processed and this was a really tasty coffee. It had a great blueberry flavor to it, but it wasn't too acidic. It also had a really nice body to it, and I gave it a whirl as a SO espresso, which it did pretty well as. Could have been roasted a bit darker for the espresso, but it was very tasty and had a great crema.

Kenya Peaberry - This coffee had less wine taste as is common in Kenayn coffee, but it had a really nice citrus zip in it that made it stand out. Its not a coffee to drink all day, but it was certainly tasty, and would probably make a nice iced coffee if roasted a tad darker.

Mexican Decaf - This was a standard decaf, as it was chocolaty with a hint of brown sugar, but it was decaffeinated using Ethyl Acetate instead Methylene Chloride. EA is an organic compound naturally found in fruits and vegetables and tends to leave more of the coffees flavor intact as compared to the MC process.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
I like the Bali dropped just after second crack but that's me. I've had those other coffees and enjoy them as well. I prefer a water process decaf to the chemicals. That's a personal choice though. I just started carrying a decaf recently.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing! This morning I stopped into a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for a cup, and they had a dark roast Bali Blue Moon as their "Bold" selection...I gave it a go because of this thread, and enjoyed it almost as much as Sumatra...just not quite there, but very tasty.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
Thanks for sharing! This morning I stopped into a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for a cup, and they had a dark roast Bali Blue Moon as their "Bold" selection...I gave it a go because of this thread, and enjoyed it almost as much as Sumatra...just not quite there, but very tasty.
Interesting.I prefer the Bali to a Sumatra because I like the cleaner cup.