Anyone using the Solo 4824 PID on their roaster? I could use some help!

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I picked up my new (to me) Ambex YM-5 this weekend. It uses a Solo 4824 PID controller.......and I have NO idea how to use it. Any help on using this controller, and honestly, any help using a PID with a roaster in general would be awesome! Up until now, I've only ever used full manual roasters.

Thanks guys!!!

If you'd like to see picture of my new roaster, here ya go. It might help to see the exact model I'm working with: Ambex YM-5 - Album on Imgur

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Might be a dump question but have you read the owner's manual?

https://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/solocontrolm/solocontrolm.pdf

Second, are you using it as a PID or simply as a temperature limiter? I.e. the temp can't go higher than what you set it to.
Third, if you are using it simply as a max temperature controller how do you control the flame height?

Ha ha, these are actually not dumb questions at all. I tried reading the manual, but when I see wiring diagrams, I'm borderline brain dead. I'm sure I can figure it out though. I received little or no training on this roaster before I bought it. Basically just a quick little note about how to get it fired up. Its not hooked up yet, so I'm just trying to gather info before hand. I would prefer to use the SOLO as temp readout and limiter only, with manual gas control. Hopefully that's possible.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since it's a new roaster I think you should ask the manufacturer instead of trying to mess with it yourself. But if you do want to do it yourself then take a look at section 5 of the owner's manual.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Since it's a new roaster I think you should ask the manufacturer instead of trying to mess with it yourself. But if you do want to do it yourself then take a look at section 5 of the owner's manual.

Its actually not a new roaster...its one that was restored by "Roaster Authority" back in 2013. From what I've been told, its virtually impossible to get anyone from Roaster Authority on the phone though....so I might be SOL unless I can figure it out myself. I really don't want to end up with a broken, worthless roaster.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Well.....ha ha, that didn't do much good. I was literally told "we cant help you roast coffee. We just sell controllers." They said for anything beyond that, I have to contact the roaster manufacturer that installed the controller........which unfortunately is Roaster Authority/Don Vining.......who seems to have vanished. Both the company AND Don.

Crap.......

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Helluva expensive doorstop Boss, lol! Sorry, couldn't resist :decaf:. Hope you can connect with someone here who can assist. Thanks for posting the pictures. You've got it positioned next to a window, are you intending to display to passers-by?

Last edited:

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Ha ha ha, I know, right? I'm sure sooner or later someone will be able to help.....or I'll get it figured out.

That pic is actually in the previous owners building. He did have it displayed. I won't, at least not for now.

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
It looks to be a very simple limit controller on a manual roaster. If so, it's set to a max temp that, unless you're emulating Starbucks, you'll probably never reach during a roast. What were you roasting on before and what exactly are you trying to do differently?

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
It looks to be a very simple limit controller on a manual roaster. If so, it's set to a max temp that, unless you're emulating Starbucks, you'll probably never reach during a roast. What were you roasting on before and what exactly are you trying to do differently?

Hi Steve, I was roasting on a Huky before which is completely manual.....and I like that! I agree that this appears to be a limit only controller, but the Manual knob (which I believe controls the Maxitrol valve) doesn't seem to do anything to the gas pressure/flame. Ideally, I would like the SOLO to show max temp, current temp, but allow me to use the manual knob to have full control over heat. It sounds like that's how it should be working, but its not behaving.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok, here is what I can see.....

The PID only has power (black and white), signal wires to igniter (red and yellow), and input from the thermocouple (red and black). I don't see that the PID attempts to control gas at all.

The manual knob has wires (green, light purple and dark purple) running to the Maxitrol board.

The Maxitrol valve has two wires (red and black) running to some wire nuts, tying them to other wires that then run to the Maxitrol board. I need to do more digging to see what else runs into those wire nuts.

Anyone else see anything fishy?