Diedrich IR-3 bouncing pressure gauge

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Looking for anyone who has insight. We have moved our IR-3 (circa 2008) roaster from sea level to our new commercial kitchen space that is at around 4000' elevation. It is a propane unit connected to a 40 lb. propane tank.

Before it was moved, full open was at 10" on the gauge and sometimes the needle on the gauge would bounce a bit. But it would settle down by the time the roaster was warmed up. We did need to go all the way up then back down slowly to the desired setting to avoid the bounce mid roast.

We are almost ready at the new location to final the permits and the manometer test was done and passed yesterday. So today the plumber hooked it all up with a new regulator (the old one was misplaced in the move). And we fired her up. The gauge is reading 13 when full open and the bounce is dramatic and won't settle down.

Does anyone have any insight in what might be the cause and how we can control the range and the bounce?

We will try to call support at Diedrich on Monday, but are hoping some of the knowledgable folks here might have some advice. Our contractor wants to call for the inspector on Monday afternoon.

If there is more formation I can provide to help with a diagnosis, let me know.

Thanks so much.
Nancy

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The regulator should be adjustable to restrict the pressure to whatever you like - via some sort of large flathead screw on the regulator. They're cheap if it's not adjustable for some reason. I'd guess the higher pressure adds to the gauge bounce as well.

stolenchurch

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I roast on an IR-3 also on propane and the highest gas pressure I can get is 9.5 towards 10 bars. I don't think roaster is designed to go as high as 13... the idea of a faulty regulator sounds like it might have some merit. Also- I am not sure if the size of propane tank could have an issue, I've heard of some cases where propane needs more space to gas off as it is a liquid under pressure and that too small of tank could limit the amount that can be drawn? Did you always roast on a 40 lb tank or did it use to be connected to a larger tank? All that being said, I have never had a problem with the gas gauge bouncing around no matter what stage or roast or how fast or slow I adjust it.

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that the pressure coming out of all propane tanks regardless of size is the same before it hits the regulator. Make sure the new regulator is high quality and adjustable. I was using a 20 lb tank with a regulator from a grill and it was a cheap non adjustable one that caused all sorts of problems. Then can be set wrong, clogged, full of water, etc.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
We found the previous regulator and are going to try that one later today. We've always had this size tank. This is a brand new one since the movers wouldn't transport a propane tank. We have also use a small BBQ sized tank with that previous regulator without a problem. So best guess is it is the regulator causing this.

The building department signed us off a few days ago, health department and fire department last week. So we are up and running.

Roasting with a bouncing gauge is quite challenging but doable.

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I've seen this a couple of times. I thnk you may be overdriving the tiny pressure regulator built into the roaster gas valve. I think valve regulator and the tank regulator begin to work against each other where the pressure drop on the open gas valve side causes the safety to activate on the tank regulator. The only solution I found was to dial back the roaster gas flow enough to smooth out the demand. It's possible a higher capacity tank regulator might help too.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Problem Solved! We bought a two stage regulator and that did the trick. Full open is at slightly above 10.5" and no bounce.

Thanks for the insights, forum folk!

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
The architect wrote it into the plans and cited some city code about a max capacity. The city approved it with the stipulation of two tank straps to anchor it to the wall for seismic reasons. The city, the fire department and health departments have all signed off.

Heartwood

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I know you solved the problem, but in case anyone else stumbles across this, another reason for higher than expected pressure could be that the new regulator was not converted from Natural gas to propane. My ir-3 bounces at very very low gas settings, but not sure why that could be. Doesn't affect my roasting however.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gearhound

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Problem Solved! We bought a two stage regulator and that did the trick. Full open is at slightly above 10.5" and no bounce.

Thanks for the insights, forum folk!

What dual-stage regulator did you get? I've got a IR2.5 with a cheap "Charbroil" dual-stage regulator I think is causing problems with inconsistent gas flow.