Roaster size for small growing roastery

LucyJos

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a 3 kg. roaster and am roasting about 300-450 lbs a week. A lot of time spent roasting. We are thinking it may be time to get the next size roaster but does anyone have any experience with what would be the next best size for a growing business? 3kg, 5 kg or more?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
How long have you been in business? Is your current growth rate increasing, steady, or tapering off a bit? Is the growth because of strong marketing effort, or is it more organic...i.e. word of mouth? Answers to these questions are important to making the proper business decisions, including how much unused capacity you're willing to carry. Investing in a larger unit could also allow you to persue private labelling for others, if you're not already doing that. BTW, at your high threshold...you are roasting 30 batches a day...that's a 5 day week @ 10hr/day of non-stop roasting....I'm not surprised you're considering an upgrade!!

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I have a 3 kg. roaster and am roasting about 300-450 lbs a week. A lot of time spent roasting. We are thinking it may be time to get the next size roaster but does anyone have any experience with what would be the next best size for a growing business? 3kg, 5 kg or more?

You'll want a 10kg capable machine. That's roughly 75 lbs an hour productive capacity.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Respectfully, Steve, because selling roasters is what you do, and you are one of the sponsers here, but how can you advise that without asking any questions about her business? Maybe a 15kg roaster is a better fit depending on if she (assuming her name is Lucy Jo) does her own roasting, or employs a roastmaster...has a business that is exploding and will soon out grow the 10kg roaster, or may be forced to hire & train an additional roaster in order to grow without another upgrade? I am not a roaster, or a roasting machine manufacturer, but I'm pretty savvy in business...just ask me...lol!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I have to agree with Mr. Peaberry. At your current volume with seemingly growing prospect, I would purchase nothing less than a 15k.
It will give you a longer window of time before the 30 or 60k. Just my $.02

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I have to agree with Mr. Peaberry. At your current volume with seemingly growing prospect, I would purchase nothing less than a 15k.
It will give you a longer window of time before the 30 or 60k. Just my $.02

Please note I said a "10 kg capable machine." From most manufacturers at 70-80% capacity, that means a 12-15 kg roaster. I wasn't more detailed in my response because I was pressed for time and Lucy can pick up the phone and call me anytime. If she's in the US, she probably should. I have this discussion several times a day.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
So on average you're doing about 60 roasts a week. Wow, that's a lot of roasting for the amount you're producing so you're right, time to up-size.

Since you've got the small roaster as a fall back I'd recommend at least a 15kg. We started with a 10kg and it took us awhile to grow in to it but now I really wish we'd opted for the 15. With a 3kg and a 15kg I'd say you'd have the best of both worlds. You can sample roast and roast small batches of specialty stuff on the 3 and then do your volume coffees on the 15. I'd say you'd be a few years outgrowing that. Then it'll be time to go to a 60kg! You'll get there :coffee:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Plan for growth. I can do under 30 lbs in my 60 kilo. I am going to out grow this one in the next year. I will then add another 60 kilo. I will never buy a 120 again....only 60's from now on. I feel you do not have the control on the 120 as you do on 60's and below.

LucyJos

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
So it seems that everyone agrees to skip the 5 to 6 kg size and go with at least a 10 kg roaster. We are at a decision point with our business so thanks everyone for sharing all the insight. Our next issue is that we have a very small space but I'll start another thread since that is a different topic.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
How small of a space? You would be surprised what you can do in a small space. We have a 60 kilo, afterburner , 2 MPE grinders a weigh and fill, band sealer, room for 90 bags of green, an office and space for filling orders...all crammed into under 800 sq feet.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
small.jpg
It's small but works.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So it seems that everyone agrees to skip the 5 to 6 kg size and go with at least a 10 kg roaster. We are at a decision point with our business so thanks everyone for sharing all the insight. Our next issue is that we have a very small space but I'll start another thread since that is a different topic.

I think you should call Mill City a.s.a.p. Steve Green made an important clarification, in that he was referring to a 10kg capable machine. The important decision you need to make is how many roasting hours you want to devote to roasting over the next growth phase of the business. Don't tie yourself to the roaster! As your business grows, more and more of your time will be needed assisting customers. If you are involved with the roasting, you need to look for ways to free up more of your time, and if you are employing a roast master, you don't want a limited capacity to force you to pay overtime or suck you back into spending more time roasting. You are the owner of a growing business...grow with it, don't become a slave to it...lol! I like what topher and expat are saying...such sage advice!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The math doesn't lie: You said you roasted 300 to 450 pounds a week so when I said you roast about 60 roasts a week I used the average of 375 lbs to get that number.

So look at the math: 375 lbs. wk. x 52 weeks = 19,500 lbs.
Convert to kilos: 19,500 / 2.2 = 8863 kg.
A 10 kg roaster will need 886 roasts. A 15 kg roaster will need 591. (OMG, a 3kg roaster would take 2,954 roasts!)

So from the 10kg roaster to the 15kg roaster 295 LESS roasts per year with the 15kg. Your time is worth a lot!

I'm sure you expect to grow too, so the divergence between the numbers just gets bigger and bigger. Don't even think about a 6kg. 10kg at least and if it were me, and if I knew now what I didn't know then, I'd go for the 15kg in a snap. I like Topher's idea of the 60kg but he's got a trust fund:decaf:, maybe you do too, but I'm not that well heeled

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
trust fund. Your funny. We roast 12,000 lbs a month...I do not want to be chained to the roaster. I have been there before. We are looking at setting up a second roastery with another 60. I have run 22 hour shifts weeks on end before and don't want to do it again! Side note...I got the roaster and afterburner cheap!