Volume of Green Coffee

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my roasting facility. I would like to utilize rolling ingredient/containers to store green coffee. I'm looking at the NSF rated Rubbermade Brute's... I have 20, 32 or 44 gallon options. Can someone tell me the volume of a 70K bag of green? Other suggestions for storage?

Thanks - Mike

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my roasting facility. I would like to utilize rolling ingredient/containers to store green coffee. I'm looking at the NSF rated Rubbermade Brute's... I have 20, 32 or 44 gallon options. Can someone tell me the volume of a 70K bag of green? Other suggestions for storage?

Thanks - Mike

hello Mike.
I do not know exact volume (cubic feet) of 69kg bean bag.
but i know the following.
20' container is 1,360 cubic feet.
in one 20', I can put 275 of 69kgs of bags. (without pallents, just hand-load)
1360 divided by 275 comes out to 4.94 cubic feet.
considering some spaces in the container, I am guessing about 4.9 cubic feet for 69kg.

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Green coffee bulk density is typically between 38 and 42 lbs per cubic ft. Therefore, if you wanted a conservative estimation on the required volume for one 70 kg bag of green coffee, it could be calculated as follows:
Mass = 70 kg = 155 lbs
Volume = 155 / 38 = 4.08 cubic ft or 30.5 US gallons

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I use the 33g Brutes - they work great for 70K bags. May I strongly suggest mating them to the rolling base (forget the technical name) that is made for them... if you haven't thought of that, you will thank me.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
And here's how I use 'em... stand up the bag of coffee, open it, invert the empty Brute over it, knock it over, grab the bag of coffee that's now half inside the Brute laying horizontally on the floor, and stand them both upright together. You'll need something on the floor so the Brute can't roll away from you... then all you have to do is wiggle the burlap (and grainpro) out of the Brute and you're golden.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
And here's how I use 'em... stand up the bag of coffee, open it, invert the empty Brute over it, knock it over, grab the bag of coffee that's now half inside the Brute laying horizontally on the floor, and stand them both upright together. You'll need something on the floor so the Brute can't roll away from you... then all you have to do is wiggle the burlap (and grainpro) out of the Brute and you're golden.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The US Government would have commissioned an engineer to study the problem and recommend a solution. The solution would have been to purchase overly complex equipment from a "recommended supplier", i.e. a supplier that paid the engineer a kickback...er, a finders fee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

It sounds like you could use a helper (or your wife) to help keep the Brute from sliding away from you.