oven roasting

luvmyespresso

Feb 2, 2005
Faucett, Missouri
Visit site
today was awsome i roasted 1 batch yesturday and 2 today in my oven at 400F for 15min in a broiler pan
i wasted about 2pounds of beans in the process trying different pans and strainers and all
and the batch i roasted yesturday it was decaf and it made more crema than the regular stuff i was getting at from my local coffee shop hmm they said it was fresh guess not
i heard that oven can produce an uneven roast but all three batches were a success 1 decafe 1espresso blend and 1 organic
i will find out tomorrow how good the 2 batches i made today taste and how much crema they have

shimrah

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
Oven roasting, eh? I've never been so adventurous... but maybe I should try that out. I'm worried about getting an uneven roast. Did you shake them down once and a while or anything, or just spread them out?

I started out using a Hamilton Beach corn popper to rast my beans -- nice and even every time. ;) When that broke I tried roasting on the stove top, but the uneveness of the beans (some raw, some black) was horrible. Soon after, I got an air roaster which, interestingly enough, has a design very similar to my corn popper. But it works great, and no more collecting chaff in a big ol' bowl. :D

luvmyespresso

Feb 2, 2005
Faucett, Missouri
Visit site
luckely i have an oven in the garage so i just crack the roll up a little and it works good still smeals like toasted wheat though but i don't mind
well i tryed a few different ways and the only way that works is to use a boiler pan because it is so thick and the pan is heated evenly and i don't have to toss and turn the beans it roastes evenly and i put 2 strainers and a flat pan in the freezer and in about 15min or so well around 10min i will get the stuff out of the freezer so when the beans are done i toss them between the two strainers and once all the chaff is off then i but the bean of the flat pan and spread them out and the cold metal cools the beans

RoastingGuy

Mar 1, 2005
Visit site
Oven is radian heat transfer.

To roast only with the radian heat source on a pan is no good because you just heat one surface of the bean at time. All heat go through the surface to the bottom. If you use radian heat you need absolutely to make a movement to the beans. :-D

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
Try using "Sil-Pat" or however it's spelled. It's that pad you use when baking stuff. It stops direct heat from the source, ex;(the bottoms of your cookies don't get burnt). They make bowls and other baking stuff out of it now and it might just eliminate the need for stirring. I have seen someone say they tried it and with good results...I just can't remember where.