comparing us roaster and diedrich attributes

Nugget

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
hey guys and girls,
I'm on the hunt for a roaster. I'm considering all brands between 12-18kilo, but particularly was looking for more info in relation to the us roaster and the diedrich. For the 12kilo, the price is similar, but, to me, the us roaster seems to have a better airflow control and more responsive burners. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Why do the diedrich roasters seem to get so much more love than many other brands. I know there's a "cool" factor that people enjoy, but is there anything that is known to be not good with a us roaster? On the surface, they seem better in line with my roasting style and capable of the sweet/caramel, as well as the bright acidic profiles.

Anybody with either machine want to offer some advice? I know there are tons of ir12's out there, but few usrc's.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well - I'm far from an expert .... but I pick up my new USRC 12K next week. I did a lot of comparing - and overall I felt the USRC was a bit more value for the buck. They use different types of burner technology - pros and cons of both and you will get opinions on each. Both are USA made. Both are quality machines, both have minor differences between the two. Overall, Diedrich is a much more polished company - literature is cleaner, software appears cleaner and more modern interface (if your going automation which I am not). I personally plan on using Artisian or Cropster and USRC added thermocouples & interface box so there software didn't matter to me - plus it was very expensive. You will get varying opinions on how helpful each company is.. I personally had a better experience with Dan/USRC than Diedrich.. but I had no issue with either companies inquiry. I have visited the USRC manfuacturing site twice... they are always very welcoming and accommodating... and Dan/USRC answered every single stupid questions i asked over the last 12 months. The reality is Diedrich has been producing roasters for a longer amount of time. USRC primary focus for years was service/repair... I don't recall when he said he started producing roasters but if memory serves me right it was within 10 years. When I placed my order at the end of July they were noticeably busier.. I think the reality is the name is just starting to catch on. I spoke to several individuals before buying... I couldn't really find anyone that said much bad about either brand.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either. Diedrich is more polished in the documentation, literature and professionalism. USRC is great to deal with but it feels like a small company (both good and bad to this). Diedrich is ETL approved which may mean getting it installed at your location without having to get special inspections done.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I can't really comment on USRC as I don't have much experience with them, but I have a Diedrich IR-12 and I love it. It is predictable and consistent. Something I have noticed is that the Diedrich seems to contain the process better than some other roasters. I'm talking about smoke mainly. It's has a great airflow system that draws the smoke out efficiently towards the end of the roast. Some other machines ive seen end up leaking smoke from certain areas, and that also means the beans are going to have a tougher, smokier taste.
Ive also visited Diedrich, and have experienced their tech support first hand which is pretty good. They're responsive and they seem to care about solving your problems quickly.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about the roasters other than what I've read. When I'm ready to purchase my first commercial roaster, I'll probably consider also the Primo because they are located near where I live, and I understand the founder used to work for Diedrich. I also am familiar with the Diedrich family. Carl Diedrich was the patriarch, and used to drive a van to Guatemala, Costa Rica, and further, to bring back specialty grade coffee that just was not easy to find in the 1960's and 70's, and the son's have carried on the family legacy. Martin, of course, started Diedrich's Coffee which had always been my preference for purchasing whole bean, and my go-to coffee house. Stephan started manufacturing roasters. I also am somewhat intrigued with fluid bed roasters, and had purchased both whole bean coffee and coffee extract from Michael Sivitz awhile back. I even met Mr. Sivitz back at the SCAA convention in Anaheim in 2001 or 2002 (can't recall which year it was). Of course then there's Probat...so I'm just a mess when it comes to my eventual dilemma. I think I'm just going to go with convenience for the first roaster, but then take a more serious look when I upgrade to a roaster that might be a more permanent fixture. What was the question??