SC/TO Build Is Off To A Great Start!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I began my search of local thrift stores looking for a Stir Crazy popcorn popper & IR or Halogen countertop convection oven. I scored yesterday by finding a brand new, in-box, Stir Crazy for $9.99 at Goodwill (no tax).

Today, I looked, without luck, at four more thrift shops for the turbo oven; however, before giving up for the day, I decided to visit a mega-Goodwill shop not too far from where I live...actually, only 6 or 8 miles away (no, NOT 7). On my way there, and just a couple miles from home, I noticed signs at an intersection for a "bookstore/thrift store" that was relocating to another city, and they were liquidating as much inventory prior to the move as possible. One of the signs mentioned "housewares", so I did a quick stop before continuing in the off-chance they might have something.

I had to enter through the roll-up door on the backside of this industrial business center as there was no parking on the street (yes, I like the sound of my own typing). Foraging through a rather large collection of junk placed randomly around the warehouse...I noticed a plain white, turbo oven sized box, up on the top shelf of a tall rack near some small appliance stuff. Since there were no markings on the box whatsoever, I was guardedly hopeful that this might be the very item I sought; it wasn't. It was not a used Galloping Gourmet IR turbo oven in great condition for an insanely low price. It was, however, a Deni, 1300 watt, convection oven...something I'd seen mentioned on Coffeegeek.com as an alternative to the GG oven. The other issue was the condition...it was not a better condition, used oven...it was a brand new, in the box...with all parts still in original plastic bags, oven! Holy cow, maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket! Not having any price marked on the box, I carried it to the register to inquire about what they were asking for it. They guy had to run and check with his boss, and came back with....$15.00. I almost screamed, "Chaaa-Ching!!", but instead kept my composure until I got loaded in my car...THEN...I had a meltdown! This is going to be fun!:-D

Have a great weekend all!

WP_20151023_001.jpgWP_20151023_002.jpgWP_20151023_005.jpgWP_20151023_006.jpg

ScooterDog

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Great find on the Deni turbo oven. I just settled for halogen turbo oven. I have been checking thrift stores for a couple of years and have not come across one with a metal element.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 298

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ScooterDog, in a way, this was kind of anticlimactic to have found these, new or used, so quickly. Interesting build on the shaft & agitator arms. Do you have a mod for dealing with chaff?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Here's an easier mod for the shaft that will not only last for years, but maintain the plumb of the shaft so the arms spin on the same plane as the SC bed.

Buy the 1/4-20 hanger bolt and wing nut, cut of the plastic threads and file them down until they're flush with the notch, drill a hole and insert hanger bolt. Costs 50cents, takes 10min., lasts forever.

shaftmod75kb.jpghanger_bolt_wing_nut75kb.jpg

dparham

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
how Fun! lol I remember building these 15 years ago and we had a blast developing them! its hard to believe its been that long ago! Are you going to add PID!? I remember one build a guy built a spacer between to allow chaff to blow out and boy did it blow out! lol heck I'm going to have to look up my old videos again ! lol

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Nah...the plan is to get experience roasting and cupping and eventually open a roasting business in conjunction with my wife's dream of owning a cafe / bakery. I don't necessarily want to get too sophisticated with this build, but won't rule it out. No harm exposing myself to the world of PID controlled roasting early on, no?

dparham

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
well PID is nice especially if you are mechanically inclined ... lol PID opened up allot of doors in the coffee world! :D plus its fun to be able to dial in a roast and repeat it without worry! lol

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Did a little looking around online, and can't really think of a good reason NOT to add a PID. This is, afterall, my education, and I prefer to immerse myself into this so that I can quickly come up to speed. I'm liking all the information here and on other coffee sites regarding this build. I will likely build out a larger base unit at some point like the one developed by Koffee Kosmo from homerosters.org. Then again, I might just move into a commercial roaster sooner rather than later.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's an easier mod for the shaft that will not only last for years, but maintain the plumb of the shaft so the arms spin on the same plane as the SC bed.

Buy the 1/4-20 hanger bolt and wing nut, cut of the plastic threads and file them down until they're flush with the notch, drill a hole and insert hanger bolt. Costs 50cents, takes 10min., lasts forever.

View attachment 5076View attachment 5077

So now that I've taken apart the base of the SC, I am familiar with how the thing was built. When I pulled out the OEM drive shaft, I did not notice the spring that fell out onto the table until awhile later, but quickly realized it was placed inside the base of the shaft to maintain positive contact between the shaft and underside of the hot plate.

The mod that scooterdog is showing makes for a wobbly shaft it would seem. I've seen another that uses a deep 1/2" socket as the drive, and, while this adds stability to the shaft as it extends beyond the hotplate, I can see that using the original shaft with the mod you suggest, Peter, provides for stable rotation of the shaft while not only maintaining level along the plane of the hot plate, but also prevents travel along the Y-axis.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication! - Leonardo DaVinci

ScooterDog

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
If you zoom in close, you can see the I have a bell shaped washer that fits right up to the little dome on the SC where the shaft comes out. That took care of my wobbly shaft.

I do like Peter's method.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so here is my idea for a build on the shaft, which is in it's concept stage, so jump in with any suggestions...

4l1pb1nv9jyu.3.jpg

Here we have two socket drive adapters; a) 1/4" to 3/8" & b) 3/8" to 1/4".

Putting drive adapter (a) into drive adaper (b) will result in a shaft which is shorter than the OEM shaft.

4l1pb1nv9jyu.2.jpg

The primary purpose being to provide for a method of preventing the shaft from travelling along the Y-axis, such as a collet or spring, or combination of both.

4l1pb1nv9jyu.jpg

The OEM shaft has an integral "washer" to limit the travel, with a spring which is inserted into the shaft that pushes the shaft upward against the underneath of the hotplate. This is the feature I am trying to replicate on this build. Let me know if anyone has an AHA moment!!

Mr. P

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dan. I like the modified fender washer to secure the stir arms, and the basic use of the socket/hex bolt assembly. Glad to see that you also incorporate the copper end cap as a cover...wasn't sure that was part of yours or Peters' build.