One time only strange taste...+ additional thought.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
That title isn't very descriptive, but I wasn't sure exactly how to describe this in a header. Anyway, I did a roast of a familiar coffee, which I followed the same profile for, and have been having consistent success with. However, the last batch I did went well, but there was ONE tasting I did with it that had this TERRIBLE taste that I had never even tasted in coffee before. I am thinking there was maybe one single rotten bean or something that made it taste this way. I have tasted it over and over again without the same taste coming through (thankfully).

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any thoughts on what causes it? I would be mortified if any customer ever experienced it, it was so bad.

Additional thought, I figured I would throw it in the same thread instead of making a new one. Has anyone ever tasted Stumptown's Hairbender? I had never tasted it before as a drip coffee and I had it last week. Not very impressed after all the hype behind it. To me, it tasted like a very smooth 7-11ish blend. Like, take a convenience store coffee, and just remove the bite. Any opinions on it?

MSM

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer. I work in a QC role with some small importing companies, so I certainly see a good bit of this on the pre ship side. Unfortunately, even with the best qualitative evaluation, coffee is truly agricultural and throws some negatives at us on occasion. I had a similar situation happen recently with a coffee that had been given the green light for quality. I was very familiar with it, and I was exploring last profiles when i encountered one cup that was quite off, sort of a sort of synthetic medicinal-like or bandaid quality, a defect I classify as phenolic cup. This was a natural processed coffee which likely had a few overripe cherries during processing.

Curious, what is the origin and process of the coffee in which you experienced this 'surprise'? Would you describe the taste like my description, or would you consider more sour fruit/vinegar-like?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I did a roast of a familiar coffee, which I followed the same profile for, and have been having consistent success with. However, the last batch I did went well, but there was ONE tasting I did with it that had this TERRIBLE taste that I had never even tasted in coffee before. I am thinking there was maybe one single rotten bean or something that made it taste this way. I have tasted it over and over again without the same taste coming through (thankfully).

This is a freak thing within specialty coffee, and usually occures when foreign matter is substitued in a coffee bag. Because coffee workers' wages in producing countries are notoriously at subistence levels, which means even low by third world standards, good coffee is sometimes 'taken' by slicing open a bag, bleeding off good beans, and then replacing them with foreign matter such as rocks, or defects removed in processing. This is something that happens, and may explain how a bad bean made it's way into your supply.

Added note: Normal processing will also allow some defective beans into the supply that aren't caught in grading...just a volume related occurance. All I'm trying to say is that this is something that is not likely to happen to you again.

Last edited:

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
That's a bummer. I work in a QC role with some small importing companies, so I certainly see a good bit of this on the pre ship side. Unfortunately, even with the best qualitative evaluation, coffee is truly agricultural and throws some negatives at us on occasion. I had a similar situation happen recently with a coffee that had been given the green light for quality. I was very familiar with it, and I was exploring last profiles when i encountered one cup that was quite off, sort of a sort of synthetic medicinal-like or bandaid quality, a defect I classify as phenolic cup. This was a natural processed coffee which likely had a few overripe cherries during processing.

Curious, what is the origin and process of the coffee in which you experienced this 'surprise'? Would you describe the taste like my description, or would you consider more sour fruit/vinegar-like?

Sorry for the delayed response, I've just been super busy. To answer your question, the origin is Indonesia, specifically Bali, and YES, it was exactly what you described, synthetic medicinal-like or bandaid quality. Great description. Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted in a coffe. This was a wet-hulled coffee.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
John how has the Bali been doing for you? This is Stephen from Barkeater Coffee. It's a great seller for me.

Oh I've had an off-taste once and a while with Bali.

Agreed on the Hair Bender. I do like some of their other coffees and they do pull a great shot of espresso in the shops.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Hey Steve,
The Bali has been doing really well for me. I blended it with a Central American and it creates an unbelievably smooth coffee with a sweet note to it. I did find it frustrating in the beginning though; without the right amount of airflow it can be terribly bitter and awful tasting.