Roasting Machine Installation

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Just curious what the range of prices for roaster installation is for professional roasters on this site. I know each application is slightly different, but it's the same basic process in the end. I really just want a ballpark idea of what others have paid so we can know if / when we get quotes that may be outrageously high.

Ours should be fairly straight-forward with just the venting pipe, getting the 220 electrical to the machine, and running the gas line.

~ Ryan

Nugget

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
what's diameter of exhaust ducting? What kind (class) of ducting does manufacturing call for? What kind of roaster? Are there permitting fees where you are?

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
what's diameter of exhaust ducting? What kind (class) of ducting does manufacturing call for? What kind of roaster? Are there permitting fees where you are?

It's a USRC 12kg. They call for separate ventilation ducting for the cooling fan and exhaust fan.

USRC recommends that the roaster's hot cyclone is piped to the outside with class “A” piping. The cooling tray that vents from the bottom of the roaster can be ducted with a single wall pipe that is of good construction and well sealed.

Yes, we will have some permitting fees.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Ryan - I hope to have quotes in the next week or two... roaster arrived today! Are you going to run dual or single vents?

USRC strongly recommends separate ventilation for the cyclone and the cooling tray, so that's what we'll do. Congrats on receiving the roaster! We've had ours for several weeks, but it's still sitting in the crates while we wait on the remodeling to be completed on our facility.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
USRC strongly recommends separate ventilation for the cyclone and the cooling tray, so that's what we'll do.

I will probably end up dual venting... I have a bit of unique situation with my facility. The landlord is paranoid of roof penetrations and this is potentially only a 1 year home for my roaster.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Anyone have any input on this? I think we may have our first estimate tomorrow, and I'm very curious to see what it comes in at. I'm sure it will make my jaw hit the floor, because almost everything else to this point has.

This guy is talking about taking the ventilation ducts through the cinder block walls. Anyone here done that?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
No big deal. I just got a hammer drill and drilled holes in a circle that would satisfy the diameter of my piping. Then take a hammer and bust out the block. Run your piping, get it all set how you want it -- how much pipe extends outside the building, etc. -- then I concreted around the piping inside and out to seal the gap between the piping and block. In retrospect would have probably used a can of foam to seal the gap as it would have been a better seal, done faster, and at that point the piping isn't too hot. Definitely double vent the machine.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
1e9fbe4a3021c2ce9926973e80e43608.jpg

I basically did what expat is talking about. Busted through the brick ad went straight out. Filled in with concrete.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I think I'd be in a lot of trouble with the city if I tried to do it myself, unfortunately. Got our first quote back, and it's $4,000. Holy crap. I find that ridiculous for the amount of work / materials that are involved.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You definitely need to send out for more quotes. Many things affect what contractors charge, including the value of the time they spend on ANY job. If they are routinely getting jobs that earn them a considerable return, they are going to quote small jobs on the high side because they don't need the business, and the attitude is that if they get it, it's gravy...if not, not a big deal. Don't get discouraged, but don't wait for quotes before moving to the next...put out RFQ's for as many contractors as you can find. Good luck!

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
You definitely need to send out for more quotes. Many things affect what contractors charge, including the value of the time they spend on ANY job. If they are routinely getting jobs that earn them a considerable return, they are going to quote small jobs on the high side because they don't need the business, and the attitude is that if they get it, it's gravy...if not, not a big deal. Don't get discouraged, but don't wait for quotes before moving to the next...put out RFQ's for as many contractors as you can find. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Peaberry.

He did volunteer the information that the ducting was $1,100 of the cost. So you're telling me $2,900 for the gas fittings, a few other bits and pieces, and the labor?? That seems excessive.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It does seem odd that there would be such a huge cost of installation. I know in electrical work, the cost of a job is not necessarily congruent with the value added to the customer. I have a friend who is an electrical contractor, and he routinely has to explain why, for example, running wire to a closet for a pull string light can cost more than installing a junction box in an entry from which to hang a chandelier. Sounds to me though, that this could be an example of just boating the cost, perhaps to leave room to negotiate. Did he imply that you should give him a call if a quote came in for less?