US Roaster Corp. or San Fransiscan

LDCoffee

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase my first roaster and have narrowed my search to US Roaster and SF--their 3kg gas models. I'd sure appreciate some input from those who have experience with either. I know there are similar posts out there and these two manufactures get a lot of praise in this community. Can any of you comment on the training provided, necessary add-ons, routine maintenance and costs, longevity, misc and unexpected expenses, etc...

For options, I would need data logging for sure and would like some sort of PLC or semi-automatic controls while keeping my options cost down. Any recommendations??

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Sorry... I run a USRC 12K... but no experience with SF's. If you are trying to keep cost down why are you wanting semi-automatic controls? That adds a big chunk of costs.... with that small of machine you would be better off jumping to a 5K w/o automation.

mahenryak

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
For what it's worth, I had been mulling over the decision to purchase my first roaster since last summer. I read multiple posts where folks had purchased a smaller roaster and then wished that they had gone a little bigger right out of the gate, later. I did look at both the US Roaster Corp and the San Franciscan, which by all accounts are very fine roasters, but in the end opted for the Ozturk 10K. I just this week put my 50% deposit down on the roaster with Dwane at Adirondack Coffee Roasters. In the end, for me it came down to simple math in that I was able to get a decent roaster with good reviews and a cast iron drum, and which has more than double the production for the same money when compared to either the US Roaster Corp or the San Franciscan--again, I know that these are both quality USA roasters, so not a knock on them whatsoever. On a side note, Dwane was able to give me a little discount off the shipping since he is making a bulk order here in the very near future.

Last edited:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Dwayne is the best!

I'm in Ireland where there are no distributors and few roasters (although that changes every day). Even though I wasn't buying the roaster through Dwayne he I did stumble across him via his YouTube videos and we chatted and he invited me to his shop where he gave us a crash course in coffee roasting. Prior to that we'd roasted a couple batches in our cast iron skillet and that was that. Dwayne spent time with us, answered all of our questions, and no strings attached. Since then I've tried to be as giving with my time to new roasters as Dwayne was with his. Dwayne has good karma in spades.

All that said I've put lots and lots of metric tons of coffee through my 10kg Ozturk and it has been a champ all the way. So besides the SanFranciscan and U.S. Roasters -- which I'm sure from what I've read here are great machines, you might at least invest some time and give Dwayne a call.

mahenryak

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Dwayne is the best!

I'm in Ireland where there are no distributors and few roasters (although that changes every day). Even though I wasn't buying the roaster through Dwayne he I did stumble across him via his YouTube videos and we chatted and he invited me to his shop where he gave us a crash course in coffee roasting. Prior to that we'd roasted a couple batches in our cast iron skillet and that was that. Dwayne spent time with us, answered all of our questions, and no strings attached. Since then I've tried to be as giving with my time to new roasters as Dwayne was with his. Dwayne has good karma in spades.

All that said I've put lots and lots of metric tons of coffee through my 10kg Ozturk and it has been a champ all the way. So besides the SanFranciscan and U.S. Roasters -- which I'm sure from what I've read here are great machines, you might at least invest some time and give Dwayne a call.

Not to hijack OP's thread, and it probably goes without saying, but it is very encouraging to hear compliments paid to Dwane by both you and Peterjschmidt, given my recent decision to go with the Ozturk 10 through him.

Last edited:

LDCoffee

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, I guess I'll throw Ozturk into the pot. I was looking for some automation because my wife and I will both be roasting. I thought it would be easier to maintain consistency between operators. If it's easy enough with the base models of these machines, i'm fine going with the manual controls.

So ADK must be a distributor for Ozturk? I only see coffee on their website--no roasters or mention of Ozturk outside of YouTube. Would it be best to get a quote through Dwayne or go directly to Ozturk??

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I guess I'll throw Ozturk into the pot. I was looking for some automation because my wife and I will both be roasting. I thought it would be easier to maintain consistency between operators. If it's easy enough with the base models of these machines, i'm fine going with the manual controls.

So ADK must be a distributor for Ozturk? I only see coffee on their website--no roasters or mention of Ozturk outside of YouTube. Would it be best to get a quote through Dwayne or go directly to Ozturk??

I don't know a thing about Ozturk, and I only know what is written in the replies on this thread about Dwayne. I do know, however, that it is a common thought to do an "end around" and try to go directly to the manufacturer to avoid any additional markup or commissions. As someone who makes a living on commission, for Dwayne's sake, I hope Ozturk refers all inquiries to their representatives. For your sake, consider that maybe you would find what you're looking for, i.e. a savings, by going direct, but consider what you would lose, a very able comrad who, according to the folks here, has more to offer that could not be bought for the money you'd save. If you do an end around, I certainly hope that you'd get the kind of reception from Dwayne that you'd get from me when it's time to ask for advice or help with service...a very cold shoulder...just sayin'...

Cheers...

Peaberry

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
From all the value added that I understand you get from Dwayne, and the after sale support, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to do this yourself. Go through Dwayne and sleep well at night.

mahenryak

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

Place 'roaster' in the 'Quick Search' field in the bottom of the left hand margin of their home page. I will try to paste a link for you below. I have also sent you a PM with his company Email address (not that it's a secret, or anything).

Adirondack Coffee Roasters

Edit: You may indeed be happier with a more automated system. I can't speak to that. I don't want to talk you out of your decision. I was just sharing the thought process I went through in making my decision.

Last edited:

LDCoffee

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Alright, so I've talked to Dwane and added a 5kg Ozturk to my list of potential roasters.

Now how about bean sources? I've been looking into Royal Coffee Importers only because their site is easy to navigate and their prices are already appealing to me. Any other suggestions? I'll be doing everything out of my home, so residential lift-gate delivery is a must.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Alright, so I've talked to Dwane and added a 5kg Ozturk to my list of potential roasters.

Now how about bean sources? I've been looking into Royal Coffee Importers only because their site is easy to navigate and their prices are already appealing to me. Any other suggestions? I'll be doing everything out of my home, so residential lift-gate delivery is a must.

That'll have a lot to do with where you live and the distance to the importer; freight can kill ya.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Not that familiar with the bean scene in the U.S. but you might check in with InterAmerican Coffee. I think they've got offices on all three coasts.