Vst

lottiepoulton

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Im using a VST when I cup my coffee but I am getting very different reading at different times can anyone clarify the process for me?
I am using 13 grams of coffee, medium to coarse grind, 180 grams of water. after brewing for 4 minutes and removing the grinds I use a pipette to put 1 /2 grams into a glass, wait for it to cool. Set the VST to zero. sterilise. Put a few drops into the VST. Wait 30 seconds. Press tds coffee.
I am not using a filter and I am wondering if I should.

Thanks

Lottie

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
VST is a TDS meter... I dont have a VTS but I use a different brand. Are you calibrating with distilled water? It sounds like your process is fine... but I wonder if you are getting residual matter throwing off your readings. I flush with distilled water and recalibrate each time. Hope that helos.

Mike

lottiepoulton

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
VST is a TDS meter... I dont have a VTS but I use a different brand. Are you calibrating with distilled water? It sounds like your process is fine... but I wonder if you are getting residual matter throwing off your readings. I flush with distilled water and recalibrate each time. Hope that helos.

Mike

HI MIke

Yes i am calibrating but I shall check I do it more often. I'm also a little confused by the difference between brew water and beverage weight. Can you help? Is beverage weight the total weight of coffee grinds and water and brew water the weight of the water without any coffee added so before it is added to the coffee?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Your brew water is exactly what is means... the water you will use to brew the coffee. Beverage weight is the final weight of the brewed coffee/espresso, etc. And you should calibrate before each session.

lottiepoulton

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried iapplying the coffee to the VST using the filters on the syringe and it is much more stable so that was the problem, thanks for your help

lottiepoulton

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Your brew water is exactly what is means... the water you will use to brew the coffee. Beverage weight is the final weight of the brewed coffee/espresso, etc. And you should calibrate before each session.

Ah yes but if you have 13 grams of coffee in a cup ground, you tare the scales and then add 180 grams of water will the 180 grams of water still weigh 180 grams or will the the water absorbed into the coffee somehow change effect the final weight?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well... coffee will absorb water so it really depends on what your measuring. Your 'input' ingredients are obviously dry coffee and water. Your output is wet coffee and brewed coffee. So, say you start with 13 grams of coffee / 180g water. Your output would be somewhere around 165g brewed coffee and the now wet coffee would be 28g. I don't know enough about the VST software to know how it works...

lottiepoulton

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well... coffee will absorb water so it really depends on what your measuring. Your 'input' ingredients are obviously dry coffee and water. Your output is wet coffee and brewed coffee. So, say you start with 13 grams of coffee / 180g water. Your output would be somewhere around 165g brewed coffee and the now wet coffee would be 28g. I don't know enough about the VST software to know how it works...

Thanks Mucisphan that makes a lot more sense.