Roasting as a Home Occupation

brewsbrotherscoffee

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a small coffee roasting business that has been working from a residential area close to my home since 2007. We are currently trying to move it to our home in a residential area in the same county. The planning and zoning are giving us a hard time. They do not want to approve a Home Occupation Permit. They only way that the director said she would even think about it is if we presented her with proof that in other municipalities or counties it is allowed to roast as a home occupation. Note: I am not referring to a Special Use Permit. Does anybody have advise for me? Where do I start looking for this so-called proof?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i don't quite understand. you say it is currently in a residential area, and now you want to move it to your home? on what "scale" will you be roasting, is probably the question.

brewsbrotherscoffee

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
So we are moving from one residential place to another. At the first location we were never required to have permit. Now all of a sudden the county says we need not a home occupation but a Special Use Permit!
We roast about 50-100 lbs a week.