Thermocouples - Anyone Gone Down The DIY Route?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. So the wonderful thing about the internet and YouTube is that one can satisfy any urge to learn how to do just about anything. I've already modified a transformer cannibalized from a microwave collecting dust in my garage. I have been attempting to weld Ktype thermocouple wire, but am experiencing difficulty. I corrected a few issues...one being that I purchased a graphite "marver" from a glass bead making website. The graphite block was drilled out and a long handle glued into it. I clamped a split bolt around the metal rod between the graphite block and the handle, and used the split bolt to secure the conductor to the graphite. It was supposed to be both functional and aesthetically "somewhat cool". I now have to troubleshoot to find the reason the wires are melting but not welding. I suspect several issues may be working jointly to sabotage my success, but I thought I'd throw this out in case anyone may have done this with some succeess. PM me or reply here if you have any words of wisdom.

Kindly,

Peaberry

cafdud

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I went threw what your doing with out much luck, couldn't control the heat. I found a capacitive discharge TC welder at Garage sale for 40 bucks that solved my problems of burning off the junction. I have found if you can't control the heat it will burn off. It is sweet that I can weld 18 and 20 gauge K type TC with success and never running out or have a need to purchase a expensive TC. I have been able to purchase high quality TC wire off ebay cheap, the mini connectors are really cheap also,

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi cafdud! I do have a Variac unit and will play with that a little to see if controlling the voltage will yield the elusive success! Thanks for your response.

Cheers,
Peaberry

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey cafdud, any chance you can tell me make and model number for the thermocouple welder you bought for $40.00? There is a "vintage" 1970's Burrell Scientific Kup-L-Weld on eBay listed for $99.00...looks like a door stop compared to the Burrell Kup-L-Weld II listed on Amazon for $1762.80....

cafdud

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Mine is a Tigtech model 116SRL, It has a argon line for it been looking for a small argon tank, thinking I can get a cleaner weld. found putting it on the lowest setting works best. here is a picture of it. welder 001.JPG