Why do some people ask crazy prices for used roasters?

stolenchurch

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I know that not everyone is guilty of this... but I have seen a lot of used roasters, like really old roasters, listed for sale at a price that is basically or 90% of the price of the same roaster new. WHY? There seems to be a distinct lack of supply of quality used roasters, which I guess results in higher prices... but it still doesn't make sense to me why some people would ask price so high, and whether or not there are people who would pay it?

It's in Canadian dollars, here is the most recent example which inspired this rant: Diedrich IR-12 Coffee Roaster | business, industrial | City of Toronto | Kijiji

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing this one is so much because it's a California made model - so it's like a collectors edition. But even at that it seems high.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Many sellers start out asking a high price, because they're expecting you to try to negotiate the price down, and they're leaving room for wheeling and dealing.

Some sellers are emotionally attached to the object they're selling, and if they've taken very good care of it, and if it has served them well over the years, they automatically want a high price for their "baby."

And some sellers have a high asking price because they expect some fool to come along any buy it, no matter what the price is.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Many sellers start out asking a high price, because they're expecting you to try to negotiate the price down, and they're leaving room for wheeling and dealing.

Some sellers are emotionally attached to the object they're selling, and if they've taken very good care of it, and if it has served them well over the years, they automatically want a high price for their "baby.

And some sellers have a high asking price because they expect some fool to come along any buy it, no matter what the price is.

Good post Rose! Yes...there is always an asking price, and a lowest acceptable price. Also there is a time element. If you want to sell a machine quickly, you have to keep the spread between asking and settling prices as wide as possible. The best scenario is when a buyers first "best offer" falls into that range, the seller is in the driver's seat in the negotiation. If it falls below that range, most sellers don't have the skills to negotiate up from a low ball price and just become frustrated to the point that their sour attitude costs them the sale. Keep in mind that the low baller just did what seller did...gave his offer as the price that would put a permanent smile on his face, but is sure it's a long shot to get the seller to agree.

I think in the case of the "close-but-not-yet-antique" Diedrich machine, the seller is hoping the provenance of the machine might matter to the eventual buyer...perhaps even the original owner himself, whom I'm thinking would be Martin Diedrich. Hey...Levi Strauss & Co. has purchased numerous pairs of old levis for its museum spending up to (or over?) $25,000.00 on numerous pairs dating back to the company early days? Why not Martin? Martin? Martin??

stolenchurch

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I took a course with Stephen Diedrich (Martin's brother) the founder of Diedrich Roasters, and since he is in the business of selling new roasters and making improvements in design- my guess is he would think the California made machines are giant boat anchors...

I think this is a case of someone trying to cash in on a brand name

Lostman

Sep 21, 2012
Turkey
Visit site
I am agree that used machines prices are really high here. I produce high end coffee roasters and I am really shocked with the prices requested here....

5yearstogo

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi community,
I recently inherited a Diedrich IR 3 free standing model, which I cannot use. I have been searching for comparable machines for sale, but there don't seem to be any recent sales. Any advice as to how I can determine a fair price?
Thanks!

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site

Some sellers are emotionally attached to the object they're selling, and if they've taken very good care of it, and if it has served them well over the years, they automatically want a high price for their "baby."

Pretty much. If it's Probat machines the older models have mechanical components, nostalgia/hip look, and solid cast iron construction. Since many consider their heyday to be the early 20th and then post WW2 periods (new factory was constructed in the early 50s since the old one was destroyed in bombing and a battle) those fetch a decent price. Sort of like a Jeep CJ-5 or 7. It's not a Fiat and can take a beating and keep on ticking.

Latest posts