creosote on the faceplate

mfortin

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am starting roasting with a small propane drum roaster. I noticed some creosote on the faceplate (inside the drum). I am roasting city+ at max.
My questions are as follow:
1) What type of cleaning maintenance should be performed on a drum roaster (do you clean the faceplate and how)? I am regularly cleaning the cyclone chaff collector with a brush and inspecting the exhaust pipe that goes outside.
2) Is this creosote on the faceplate can contamine the taste of the roasting process?
3) If yes, then is a fluidbed or an hybrid roaster (like the genecafe cbr-1200) could reduce this potential contamination on flavor/taste?
Regards
Martin

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Martin, What brand and size roaster are you using? Can you take a picture of the build up on the face plate? I have never had issues with build up on the face plate.

mfortin

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Martin, What brand and size roaster are you using? Can you take a picture of the build up on the face plate? I have never had issues with build up on the face plate.
I cannot take a picture since it is on the side of the drum of my sample roaster (if I put my finger through the trier hole, it is getting black). It might just be normal and coming from burned chaff. I was just wondering of you do any special cleaning maintenance on a drum roaster in addition to cleaning the cyclone chaff collector and the pipe going outside?