Excessive Grinds in Cupping

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hi All -

A few days ago I was using Neil Wilson's process to develop a new roast profile for a Brazilian Natural Pulped coffee. Basically I was taking samples every 15 seconds from 1st > 2nd crack. I let the coffee rest for 24 hours and then cupped. After I broke the crust/cleared there was a significant amount of grinds floating around the coffee. Certainly there is typically a little bit of loose grinds, but this was excessive. So much so that I could barely get a cupping spoon without having a dozen or so grinds in my spoon. Any idea what caused this?

Mike

N3Roaster

Feb 29, 2016
Racine, WI
Visit site
Four possibilities come to mind immediately, but there's not enough info here to say which of these is most likely:

1. Improper grind - Going a little bit finer might help more of the grounds sink during the break. Don't overdo it, though, or the coffee will auto-break.
  2. Improper technique - It takes practice to spoon off the grounds that don't sink. Not much to do about that but practice.
  3. Too narrow cupping bowl - That results in a thicker crust to start with and can make things harder than they need to be.
  4. Not waiting long enough after the break - A few minutes will let things settle, give you time to collect your thoughts on the aroma, and help you avoid burning your tongue.