Roaster exhaust pipe precautions...

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
If you are in a wood building you need a wall thimble. If you are using double wall pipe then you need to order the thimble according to the inner pipe not the outer. UL 103 and UL 103ht Type A is what you want to look for. Most wall thimbles will fit any pipe

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My double wall pipe made by nordfab came with a stainless 2 layer wall thimble to protect the wall. That being said you could probably rig up a wall thimble for a woodstove depending on what what wall is made out of ( and drywall is not flammable ). The outer pipe gets pretty hot to the touch where it goes into the wall. I think the real danger would be if the exhaust ductwork caught fire.

Ok I looked at the label and its 2" from combustible. Sry all, but good info here anyway! The inner/outer walls are wood. I'm thinking of running out the window as I think we may out grow this spot fast and I don't wanna do more work than needed if that's the case.
ad3ce01491763ec1dc3e00499adaaef6.jpg

8ab076517a7ce9d589d2e6a0d7951189.jpg

679182cd66503231bd48e0ef6da75c91.jpg

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

It's funny how you will get responses that open your eyes to a product you've seen before, but never knew what it's called, as in the case of a "wall thimble". I'm pretty sure I know what "special insulation" is though. My two cents? Treat the wood with a ceramic fire/heat retardant like chimney caulk or something of the sort, at least for a foot or two perimeter around the thimble as AndyP was spot on with his assessment of where the real danger lies.

Cheers,

Peaberry

Ok so I found the thimble on Amazon. My next question is, I need to get another 3' at the top to get it above the roof line. It won't be touching anything, so do I need double walled for the top piece or can I just go single walled regular pipe. Up to that point it will have passed through approx 10' of double walled.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
The picture you posted is what I had to purchase to go through a side wall. Wallboard is considered combustible and even if you put up fire rated board the lumber is combustible. That thimble I believe will extend 10 inches and gives the n.eeded two inch air gap. On northern expresses site they have section that describe what is considered combustible. I found mine on eBay with free song brand new for 46.00