Advise Please: Considering Upgrade from SanFranciscan 6 to Diedrich IR-12

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Hey all,
I am considering purchasing a bigger roaster. My little San Franciscan 6lb roaster is starting to not make sense. 8 roasts in a row to produce 35 lbs of coffee gets old. I can hear you all saying “I told you so” under your breath now. I deserve it. :) But I am thinking about the Diedrich IR 12 that is currently for sale on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diedrich-IR-12-Coffee-Roaster-/231955906982?hash=item3601a641a6:g:F2MAAOSwKmlXEU1Q

I don’t know much about those roasters or that roaster specifically. The owner said he would sell for 12k. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? Any red flags on that particular Diedrich? Any thoughts on what I could sell mine for? (Built in 04, refurbed at Coffee Per in 2013, only 2,000 lbs roasted since then) I see a pretty much new one selling on Craigslist San Francisco for 17k. I paid around 10 for mine.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Redswing,

I remember when you first joined the Coffee Forum, and you were just starting your roasting business. Here we are, a few years later, and the fact that you now need to upgrade to a bigger roaster has to mean that your business is thriving. Nicely done!

Just wondering . . . at one point you were thinking of going around the neighborhood and hanging red swings. Did you ever do it?

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Redswing,

If your purpose is to grow as a roasting business, then your roaster should be one step ahead of what you actually need. I would be a bit skeptical of any roaster from ebay for all the obvious reasons. I've known several who've used that Diedrich, it's a solid roaster. I see that it's located in the area. Just due diligence, and it sounds like a good deal. I would want documentation that it is "manufacturer refurbished". Be skeptical first, be fortunate second. Possibly a great find.
I think you could reasonably get $8k - ish for your roaster.

Congrats on needing to upgrade!

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Redswing,

If your purpose is to grow as a roasting business, then your roaster should be one step ahead of what you actually need. I would be a bit skeptical of any roaster from ebay for all the obvious reasons. I've known several who've used that Diedrich, it's a solid roaster. I see that it's located in the area. Just due diligence, and it sounds like a good deal. I would want documentation that it is "manufacturer refurbished". Be skeptical first, be fortunate second. Possibly a great find.
I think you could reasonably get $8k

Thanks John. Hope to see you next time we're driving through Salt Lake.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Redswing... I am NO Diedrich expert.... but that unit seems fairly expensive for a used machine in that condition. Ive seen a lot nicer units listed around the $12K price point.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Surprisingly those old Diedrich still go for a lot of money. $8-10k seems reasonable but I also wouldn't be surprised if the seller gets his asking price. Two things to be careful of with older Diedrich's is that they are famous for being under powered in both the fire and air flow departments whereas with the newer ones they have greatly improved this.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
That Diedrich looks super old. I am not a Diedrich expert in any way, but I'd say its way over priced and probably nothing but a pile of headaches. Also, who knows what type of coffee, and to what degree it was roasted in that thing.
If your business is growing, I'd invest in a new one. They're probably ~23K new, and you won't have to worry about the thing breaking down or otherwise acting up on you. They also have direct drive electric motors now, so theres no fussing with chains and gears in the back. Also, you can get USB thermocouples installed in the factory, and it makes data logging a breeze with some freeware (Typica or Artisan).

I looked at used and smaller machines when I was purchasing mine a year ago, and I am very glad I went with a new 12 Kilo.