Questions on 'Joper', 'Probat' and 'U.S. Roaster' Sample Roasters

Cowboy

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between the three Sample Roasters below and wondered if anyone of you can fill the blanks for me. I will be speaking to these companies as well soon but I wanted to hear some views from the field experts to be more equipped for my meetings with the machine sellers.

1- Joper CRG 100/2 drums

- Is the drum made of Cast Iron? If not, what is it? (It says 'Roaster Solid Drum' on their website. What does that mean?)
- Does it measure or allow measurement of the bean temperature or just the exhaust and the drum temperatures?
- Any thoughts on airflow control?
- Any thoughts on pluses or minuses against the other two?

2- Probat BRZ 2

- Is the drum made of Cast Iron? If not, what is it?
- Does it measure or allow measurement of the bean temperature or just the exhaust and the drum temperatures?

3- U.S. Roaster

- Is the drum made of Cast Iron? If not, what is it?

Thanks in advance to those who can help.
C.

CG901

Apr 13, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
I can only comment on the US Roaster as I had one for a few years. I found it an excellent sample roaster. I do believe the drum is stainless steel and it does have data logging options. Mine had four TCs. The airflox adjustment was marginal as the fan is not too powerful, but overall, I was able to control the roast using LP gas, and develop some excellent profiles.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi everyone,

1- Joper CRG 100/2 drums

- Is the drum made of Cast Iron? If not, what is it? (It says 'Roaster Solid Drum' on their website. What does that mean?)
C.

our company uses Joper (double barrels) for sample coffee roasting for past few years.
I believe it is made out out aluminum (drum)
bean temp, no. exhaust/drum temp, yes.
airflow control is pretty good, however, the flame control is not as exact as Probat. (I do not know about U.S. roasters because never used it)
if you ask me, this is very good sample roaster (we paid $7500.00 from Portugal factory and imported it into Guatemala).
I give solid 8 out of 10 rating. (Probat is 9 out of 10)
thanks
Alex from Ensoluna S.A.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Alex, I'm assuming the OP is asking about a sample roaster that is in effect a small drum roaster, as opposed to a barrel roaster that you're using. Barrel roasters are obviously used for roasting samples, but (I think) sample roasters are different.

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
US Roaster Corp - I've roasted nice samples on them at Roaster's Guild and SCAA shows. I've also seen them break more times that not at those shows (maybe just show floor models and one's reused and abused at Roaster's Guild Retreat).

Joper - Don't know jack about them. Sort of a Probat-ish style. Aluminum barrels are, for me, sad. They heat up quickly but transfer heat through it without retention. Look at the Quest M3 which many folks find you need to insulate to use. That's what aluminum does for you.

Probat BRZ - Overpriced for what it is. 9,000 USD for a single barrel and, what, 14 for 2? That's overpriced. However, they work and you can repeat results with their gas model very well. The electric model, which I've used often and hate with a passion, leaves me wanting. Barrel is not cast iron and I'm 90% sure of that. If you take the plates off and the barrel out, it's light and is welded together. Steel probably. If the barrel is cast iron it's not going to be the same quality as the old Probat drums. What do I mean? Look at Lodge Cast Iron skillets from today vs. Griswold ones from the 19th and early 20th century. Superior cast iron used then, smooth surfaces, vs. today's rough surface and cheaper raw materials. Still works, but not as awesome as it once was.

Alternatives with 1LB Capability:

Geisen (Giesen?) W1- Nice machine with lots of variable options, but they have trouble with the flame. It's not a simple "set water column scenario" so it takes some getting used to. I've also read in forums in the Netherlands and had talks with roasters here who have a love-hate relationship with them. Plus you can only get parts and support from Willem Boot in the US. That being said, they can roast fine coffee and do.

Diedrich IR - You can get the 1 and 2.5 models and can get by just fine with them. Again, avoid electric. Get gas or propane. I loved the little IR-1 I had for some time but there is definitely a learning curve and it can be hard to repeat results (which is vital in sample roasting).

San Franciscan 1LB - I love this thing. Seriously. It's simple and works and looks pretty. The fan is a little underpowered and is a pain in the derrier to clean though.

Moral of the story - All of these machines can roast coffee and will roast coffee well when you learn them. Price generally comes from materials used (aluminum cheap, cast iron not so much), craftsmanship, variables, and brand recognition. The key two there are materials used and craftmanship. My take on variables is the more there are the more that you need to learn and can go horribly wrong. I'm a simple guy and with sample roasting I want less bells and whistles so I can repeat my results over and over. For a larger roaster, fan speed is nice but I'll settle for a damper. Drum speed? I don't really bother with but know some roasters can, and do, master that and love it.

Last edited: