Thermocouple output for Toper Cafemino data logging

Does anyone have any advice on how to do data logging on a 2014 1kg electric Toper Cafemino?
I have been told that you can connect a thermocouple extension wire into the control panel such that the existing thermocouple now feeds the built-in temperature display as well as a logger.
Will this work or will I need to add a new thermocouple?
Is the original thermocouple in the Cafemino a J or K type?
If I need to add a new thermocouple, precisely where should I do this (pictures and words please)?
Thanks in advance for your help.
JohnP

balques

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi John! any luck with connecting your Cafemino with a data logging software? I have the exact same question and can't seem to find material online to help with it.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Hi John! any luck with connecting your Cafemino with a data logging software? I have the exact same question and can't seem to find material online to help with it.

The easiest way would be to replace the thermocouple with a split wire or dual lead thermocouple; essentially two thermocouples stuffed into one sheath.

I tried getting an Ebay version without much luck after several attempts. I've seen these on American made roasters, most likely a US vendor is producing them.

Next, you just drill and tap a hole in the faceplate; taking into consideration the direction of drum rotation and collection of bean mass. If you make a mistake, just pop a screw in the hole and try again.

edisoncoffeeco

Dec 5, 2016
TX
Visit site
It looks like the Cafemino has a PID correct? If this is the case you should be able to run a jumper off of the thermocouple feeding the PID to your Phidget or whatever USB connection you are using and get data that way. We did this to our L12 and it works great. No extra holes in the faceplate, just running some wires.

Sorry for the delay. I didn't see this thread had come alive again.
I have so far done some reading and nothing else :-(
My reading told me in no uncertain terms that you should not "tee" the thermocouple as suggested immediately above by edisoncoffee.
So I am surprised that this works.
If I "tee'd" the existing thermocouple output, I would need to know if it is a J or K type. I have been unable to ascertain this information.
I looked into the dual thermocouples and thought that would be easiest, but the location of the existing thermocouple in the cafemino is too high up the drum. It is fine if the charge is large, but it doesn't touch the beans for a small charge.
As far as a thermocouple supplier, it seems that omega.com has whatever I would need.

Latest posts