Hearthware I Roast

RLinNH

Mar 14, 2005
Weare, NH
Visit site
I bought a Hearth Ware I Roast to replace my older Hearthware that burned out. The new I Roast came in, and it looked like a nice replacement. Well, after using it, I am not so sure. First of all, the lid/chaff collector rattles off and you have to be on vigilance next to the MAchine whenever it is running. Also, the Roasting temps are something that I have never had to deal with. I have already had 2 batches not even make it to first crack before the cool cycle kicks in. And third, Hearthware does not want you running the machine more then once every 2 hours. I remember the days when I used to sit down and roast up a pound of coffee and be all set for the week. Now I am roasting every day. I guess what this post is getting to is to a recommendation for a differnet roaster. Something that is easier to use and something that I can use continuasly until I have a pound of coffee roasted. Looking forward to the replies.

Polemarhi

Jan 25, 2005
Crete and UK
Visit site
Hi
You're not the first to have had problems with the Iroast,me too.
Hearthware faq's http://www.i-roast.com/cus_01.php may help but probably not.
Some machines run hot and some machines run cooler,mine seems fine on Preset 2,sometimes I hit the cool button early,other times I extend the roast by a minute or two.
My chaff collector top also works loose (the whole top not just the little lid with the mesh) So that I don't have to continual guard it I secure it with a long curtain spring that has a hook on each end,I've removed the plastic covering.
I leave 20 to 30 minutes cool down time between roasts,no problems.
Once you get used to it's quirks it's fine but there is a learning curve to negotiate.
There are a number of threads on the i-roast at www.coffeegeek.com and a tip sheet at www.sweetmarias.com
Hang in there and try not to throw it through the window :wink:

RLinNH

Mar 14, 2005
Weare, NH
Visit site
Polemarhi,

Thank you so much for the Informational post and the little confidence boost. :wink: I guess I won't give up just yet on the I Roast. I have just started playing with the programable roast times and temps. Pretty fun stuff. Also, thanks for the links. I am going to check them out tomorrow morning while I enjoy my morning coffee and cigar. :)

I would buy a Hot Top roaster but :

A ) I don't want to throw out a brand new roaster for a few minor problems.

B ) The hot top looks like an AWESOME roaster and right up my alley, except for 1 thing. The smoke. I roast in my kitchen and as it is now I have to unplug the smoke detector every time I roast with my I Roast. So unless I firgure out a way to vent the Hot Top, and eventually i will have to once this roaster burns out, it's the I Roast for me.

Now, off to the roaster for a few more batches. :lol: