Digital Gas Guage

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hey All -

Has anyone replaced their analog gas gauge w/ a digital version? I would like to keep better records of my gas settings but currently the USRC's only come equipment with analog dials. Any brand recommendations? Any supplier recommendations?

Thanks - Mike

solock

Mar 13, 2015
Lehigh Valley PA
Visit site
The few I have seen have far less resolution than an analog gauge of a proper range.
By this I mean if your max pressure is 15" WC, then you have resolution to at least .1, and actually between mark settings are possible.
The digital gauges cover wider ranges and are at best .1 resolution and there are no inbetweens.

They tend to be in feet of wc as well, so may not be able to read at all at the low levels we need to read.

If you are looking for a transponder type to be able to be read by a computer than that may have value, but I would never have only a computer read gauge as a hangup or crash will remove any indication of where you are for power.

Further I think that you have little return for the investment as they are 3 times the price of an analog.

In my experience on a 10K roaster, I only make moves in 1"wc or 1/2" wc at most, the tiny steps are too small to add any real value.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback solock.. the odd thing with the USRC's gas output to the burner is max 3.1 WC. When I'm doing half loads or greater its not a big deal (or less of).. but I'm trying to get a handle on smaller loads.

solock

Mar 13, 2015
Lehigh Valley PA
Visit site
I understand the challenge of smaller loads on both doing smaller batches on a 10K and trying to use a 500g roaster with sample sizes of 100g.

From my experience I need some certain level of gas flow to satisfy the fire present sensor, usually 2.5"wc is the minimum I can use on either, and then all my controls are damper or drum speed or exhaust fan motor speed if I need to modulate lower effective heat levels.