EMKO ESM-4430 Temperature Controller

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello Fellow Roasters, we just received our Toper 15 kilo roaster from Turkey and could not be more excited to start roasting. It's completely installed now in our workspace BUT the EMKO temperature controller is not reading the drum temp correctly. If you take a look at the attached picture...I have the pre-set temp at 450 but the top number should read the current temp of the drum...BUT it's a negative number and I cannot figure out what to do? HELP PLEASE? IMG_2996.JPG

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Do you have any way to test your thermocouple outside of the EMKO controller (I.E. handheld device)? Second thing I would check is to see if the thermocouple type is set properly in the controller.

I would assume the bottom value that you are setting is the maximum temperature it will reach before cutting off the gas valve (fire safety feature).

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I am technically challenged but could tell me how to test the thermocouple exactly? Can you shoot me a link or something to a hand held device I could purchase to use? When you said "check is to see if the thermocouple type is set properly in the controller".....what do you mean by that? How do I check this?

Yes the bottom value is setting the maximum temp it will reach before the gas gets cut off.

Thanks for your help!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well, I have a a TMD-56 (TMD-56 Multi-logging Digital Thermometer | Amprobe) ... but I wouldn't buy anything special for troubleshooting. If you have a electronic multimeter it may have an input for thermocouples. If you can (may not be possible) you could unplug the thermocouple from the controller and plug into the handheld device. But a lot of situation you simply can't plug/unplug. In my scenario I could route my cabling to this device when I was having issues... basically I was trying to isolate my problem to make sure it wasn't the controller.

So first thing you need to do is check the type of thermocouple you have... I would hope that the manufacturer would tell you this. Typical thermocouples are Type K & J... but it is depending on what metal the thermocouple is made of. One you know what type you have you need to go into the controllers settings to see if it's setup for that type of thermocouple. It's odd that its showing negative... but I got all kinds of weird read-outs when I had my thermocouple Type set incorrectly.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Can you reach the thermocouple inside of the drum? Obviously be careful you turn on your drum and its cold... I would be curious if you get any change in value when you touch it/hold on to it.

solock

Mar 13, 2015
Lehigh Valley PA
Visit site
Your thermocouple is likely disconnected or has a broken wire. Some temp controllers indicate a bad or disconnected thermocouple differently. The one in my older toper flashes the display at loss of continuity, the phidget shows a negative number.

The probe runs to the back of the controller and connects to terminal 1+2.

You can test a thermocouple with a multimeter, it should read a few ohms, I would suggest a disconnected probe or bad connection at the controller?

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Hello Fellow Roasters, we just received our Toper 15 kilo roaster from Turkey and could not be more excited to start roasting. It's completely installed now in our workspace BUT the EMKO temperature controller is not reading the drum temp correctly. If you take a look at the attached picture...I have the pre-set temp at 450 but the top number should read the current temp of the drum...BUT it's a negative number and I cannot figure out what to do? HELP PLEASE?View attachment 6296

Switch the two wires first. When polarity is reversed your thermocouple readout reverses.

If that doesn't work, check to make sure the controller is set correctly for the thermocouple type. Probably J or K.

Next, connect a new, known good thermocouple to see if it's the controller or the thermocouple.

Also and maybe first, follow the wires to make sure they aren't pinched.

Fox

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
Hi dear

I just read your post about toper drum tempreture. You may fix it for sure . I own toper cafemino . Its the wiring problem you have to opposite the wire in behind the temperature controller . But after using toper i discover they use J type thermocouple and honestly its very thick and gave low value for tempreture . I use different thin thermocuple connected with Phidget 1048 . its more accurate and more fast .

Best regards