Espresso Blending: Insights and Innovation

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Hey John, great post. Things I've had rolling around in my head so seeing it put down logically like that is good stuff. And you are right, it is a subject that is seldom if ever discussed.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
expat,

Thanks for the comment.

Re: non-discussion: I wonder why that is? Is it because it's proprietary information? Is it because only a tiny number of people think that way and finding someone to share these ideas with is difficult?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I think it is only that a tiny number of people think that way. And only a small sampling of those folks have the time, inclination, gumption, circumstances, etc., to do the rest. For myself I'd love to do more on the experimentation side of things but truth is, I'm just too flat out busy getting my product out the door and on the store shelf. In fact, if I don't get my butt in gear right now the Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress is going to have more than words with me.
--Ta!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Interesting take on the situation. I think we understand that different beans do de-gas at different rates... do we make the assumption that they will oxidize at different rates (IE lose maximum flavor)? If we are maxing that assumption wouldn't it result in a smaller time window to have a 'maximum flavor profile? I could see that as a downfall... or at least a challenge.

And regarding discussion... I think that's simply a fact its an external link and not enough of us roaster freaks.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Musicphan,

Thanks for your thoughts.

It would be more accurate for me to say that each coffee, respective of roast, has an arc in its flavor profile such that there is a window at which that particular coffee at that particular roast is best on days X through Y.
And I think of it not just as a challenge, but another set of information, another tool to use -- even partially use -- to make current espressos shine even more, to reformulate an espresso to improve flavor characteristics from day 1, or to create a new espresso altogether.

As to discussion, I was asking the question, "Why hasn't someone already posted something similar already?"

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
This is an interesting blog post. I actually have a customer that is very mindful of how long it has been since roasting, and when he uses it for espresso. Pretty sure he wants it to age for about 6ish days.

Latest posts