Dear Santa, I want a roaster for Christmas

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
After drinking specialty coffee for about a year now, it's time to get my hands on roasting coffee myself.

As the title says, a coffee roaster is on my Christmas list.
And since I believe that I was really good this year and didn't break a lot at home, I believe the chances are not too bad to get one.

I checked the Behmor 1600 drum roaster first but then I read it takes longer to roast and it's more expensive.
Then I checked Sweet Maria's SR500 and it looks like this Air Roaster could be a good starter for me.

Again, I just want to start with roasting at home, see how it works, etc. Don't plan to become a commercial coffee roaster :).

What do you think? Is it a good starter? I don't want to spend more than $200 if there is not really a big difference in why a more expensive one is so much better.

Thank you for your comments!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Will you be roasting inside the house or outside?

One feature you should seriously consider is whether or not you can control the smoke from roasting.

I'm sure you don't want to end up on the naughty list by setting off your smoke detectors every time you roast coffee.

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona so I could be outside all day and night. Which is also the plan: roasting on the patio in the backyard.

Don't want to get in trouble with my wife!
Although, my kids would probably love to see a fire truck at our front door:smile:.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
That's a tough question to answer. But it should be about "How controllable and repeatable are the results?" and "Does it get me fresh, relatively respectable roasted coffee?"

The answer to the one that matters at a $200 price point is "Yes" (provided you pay close attention!)

Realistically, there are limitations, but it's a good way to appreciate how important good beans and fresh roasted coffee are. The rest you will learn over time.

If you decide you love having fresh roasted coffee, you will want to upgrade sooner than you thought possible.

Happy Roasting!

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Thanks. John.
Since roasting at home will be my new thing, you bet, I pay close attention!
Too curious to miss a thing. At least in the beginning.

You didn't really suggest any other roaster so I guess, the Sweet Maria one is an OK one as a starter?

I honestly haven't really found a lot of home roasters.

InEarthcoffee

Jul 10, 2016
South Korea
Visit site
I don't know much things about home roaster [only shop and commercial roaster :( ], but as other said smoke is the main problem when you roaster the bean at home.

may be i can recommend some of home roasters , please answer on following questions.

1. how often will you use roaster at home?
2. Usually people use 3 types of roaster (drum roaster(direct fire) , semi-rotating Fluidized bed(half direct fire and half heated wind , rotating Fluidized bed(heated wind))
tell me what type of roaster you want.
3. under 200$ ,actually you don't have many choices because decent home roaster usually above 200$, are you willing to spend more money for that?
4. what is your style of roasting? French ,Italian or could be light roasting.

Last edited:

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I don't know much things about home roaster [only shop and commercial roaster :( ], but as other said smoke is the main problem when you roaster the bean at home.

may be i can recommend some of home roasters , please answer on following questions.

1. how often will you use roaster at home?
2. Usually people use 3 types of roaster (drum roaster(direct fire) , semi-rotating Fluidized bed(half direct fire and half heated wind , rotating Fluidized bed(heated wind))
tell me what type of roaster you want.
3. under 200$ ,actually you don't have many choices because decent home roaster usually above 200$, are you willing to spend more money for that?
4. what is your style of roasting? French ,Italian or could be light roasting.

1. depends on how much I can roast. Me and my wife together we drink about 60-80 grams of coffee per day (one day a little more the other less)
2. You got me! I have no idea :)
3. a little bit...I guess :)...
4. light roast preferred. Medium OK. No dark roast at all

Thanks for your help!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
You might want to try an air popcorn popper. And then if you want do make some modifications take a look on YouTube, there's lots of 'restomod' poppers there that people have souped up to make the ultimate bean machine on a budget.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Most know I'm a huge proponent of the SC/TO. If you're at all handy, these are great little roasters; easily nets 12oz., very controllable and able to follow any profile you desire; under $50 if you scrounge for parts or just over $100 if you want to buy new parts.

Here's some pics/descriptions I put together many years ago, and they're still going strong after 1K's of lbs. https://sites.google.com/site/peter4jc/

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I decided to start home roasting for espresso awhile back. I have been involved in coffee long enough to know exactly what I'm looking for in an espresso roast range and it is a great way to have fresh coffee when I want it and save a bit of $ as well. Tried a few popcorn roasters, which work OK, but in stock form tend to roast way too fast and didn't develop much flavor along the way. Picked up a good heat gun/stainless dog bowl and tried that for awhile, which works rather well once you figure things out. Decided to stick with the heat gun application as they are a great way to apply consistent dry heat and built my own roaster utilizing a Master appliance commercial heat gun (2nd one that I bought) that offers high airflow and adjustable temp from ambient to 1000 degrees at the nozzle tip. Incorporated a large stainless flour sifter (8 cup I think) for the capacity/heavy duty build quality. I'm far from the first to use a heat gun/sifter for roasting, but I did think things through and believe I have built a better roaster than many I have seen. I also utilized a stainless canning funnel that spreads the heat evenly from the heat gun nozzle to the base of the sifter so there are no hot/cold spots as might be the case when the bottom of the sifter is left exposed. Also incorporated a very accurate thermometer and a digital timer, which are really for points of reference for consistency. Added the cordless screwdriver to control agitation speed.

I can go on and on about the small details (inquire for more detail if interested), but in the last 6-7 months I have cranked at least 50# through this beast. I roast 200 gram batches in about 18 mins followed by 2 mins for cool down. The results have been superb and I do not miss buying from artisan roasters one bit. Roasting coffee can be a daunting task and roasting specifically for espresso even more so, but I have no regrets whatsoever and look forward to every batch I roast and consume.

thumbnail_IMG_20161107_111056935.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Would also like to add that I built the roaster for less than $200 as I carefully sourced the parts I needed and found the heat gun barely used on eBay for half price of what a new one costs. Even though I snapped that pic indoors I do keep the roaster on a rolling kitchen utility cart and take it out on my balcony as the smoke and chaff tend to be a bit messy.

After I roast a batch and cool to room temp I store in a Mason jar with the lid loose so the degas process can take place at least 2 days. I try to let the coffee age at least 4-5 days before consuming. I buy all my green coffee from Sweet Maria's as they have a great selection, price, shipping rates, etc. All said and done with the coffees I prefer, shipping, 17-18% weight loss in roasting process, etc. I am achieving exactly what I like in espresso for an average of $8/lb. Also of note, the green coffee can be kept in bulk a long time in a cool dark place with relative humidity.

elmerito

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Would also like to add that I built the roaster for less than $200 as I carefully sourced the parts I needed and found the heat gun barely used on eBay for half price of what a new one costs. Even though I snapped that pic indoors I do keep the roaster on a rolling kitchen utility cart and take it out on my balcony as the smoke and chaff tend to be a bit messy.

After I roast a batch and cool to room temp I store in a Mason jar with the lid loose so the degas process can take place at least 2 days. I try to let the coffee age at least 4-5 days before consuming. I buy all my green coffee from Sweet Maria's as they have a great selection, price, shipping rates, etc. All said and done with the coffees I prefer, shipping, 17-18% weight loss in roasting process, etc. I am achieving exactly what I like in espresso for an average of $8/lb. Also of note, the green coffee can be kept in bulk a long time in a cool dark place with relative humidity.

Do you happen to have a picture of the "stainless canning funnel" that you've attached to your heat gun? I am planning to build my own roaster using your setup and would like to know how you use the cunning funnel.

thanks!
-E

Last edited: