Wood fire roasted coffee

Coolbuddie

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Has anybody tried wood fire roasting coffee? I have been experimenting with a modified pellet Grill. They are easy to control the temp but the problem I have is the chaff doesn't come off the bean. Anything I can do about it?

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. I tried it once, not good. Coffee beans do not soak in the good flavor components that meats do. Actually they do not soak in anything. What does happen is that they get covered with a sheen of creosote. Leaves a bitter, biting taste. Not good.

Len

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I saw one in use in Brazil. It was a 120 kilo...I didn't get a chance to taste the coffee but what you say makes sense Len. Can you imagine how big of a pain in the ass maintenance would be on that machine??

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Has anybody tried wood fire roasting coffee? I have been experimenting with a modified pellet Grill. They are easy to control the temp but the problem I have is the chaff doesn't come off the bean. Anything I can do about it?
for peanuts, YES. for roasting green coffee, definitely NO.

Glad that it got something positive going for a change. :coffee:

Last edited:

Coolbuddie

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Well I have been roasting it for a while like this with no problem you mentioned. To get the creosote that you mention you would need to use inferior wood Plus were talking about roasting versus smoking which I think you're talking about smoking is done a lot lower temp.

You do realize that coffee was all originally roasted with wood fire there are a lot of places that still do it in over in Italy there's even a few in the United States.

Coolbuddie

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Here is a wood roasting systems with direct flame mines not so fancy but I can do 3 pounds at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMIBeku4mgY&sns=em